In Memoriam // Part Three

The old diner down the street offered a slight bit of comfort

The old diner down the street offered a slight bit of comfort. The food was nowhere near as good as Pop's, but the coffee was what was necessary as of right now. My cheeks were puffy from the tears of the day as I sat outside with a coffee in hand. The others were inside finishing up, but I wasn't in the mood for eating, and I didn't want to leave Mocha alone.

"Hey," Jughead's voice broke me from my thoughts as he sat next to me on the bench, my puppy quickly bouncing up between us to lick my boyfriend's fingers clean of any leftovers. "You okay?"

I nodded and leaned against his shoulder as my dog scurried into my lap to lay down. "Just brings back a lot of memories. But I want to be there for him, and I don't want this to seem like it's about me and my issues, but I just needed to clear my head."

"You're not making it about you, Sav," Jughead promised as he kissed my forehead. "You're relating to him, which is something he may need more than he thinks he does. And you're not wrong for needing to step away. Nobody blames you for it. Everyone needs a break every now and then."

"Yeah," I mumbled, my fingers sorting themselves through Mocha's fur. The action was oddly calming, especially when he nuzzled his nose in the crook of my arm to keep warm.

"Guys." Veronica burst out of the door, her eyes quickly scanning the near-empty parking lot before settling on us. "Archie's gone. He just took off."

I sat up, giving my sister a look. "What do you mean he took off?"

Ronnie gave me a small glare. "I mean, he got a phone call and walked off but now he's gone. We can't find him."

Archie definitely ran his ass off to wherever he went, but once Jughead got a call from his dad, we all knew why he did. The man who had been driving the car who hit Fred had been identified, and Archie wanted justified revenge. I didn't blame him, but I didn't want him doing something he would regret later down the line.

The doors of Fred's truck closed simultaneously once Jughead arrived at our location. Thankfully, Archie was sitting outside on a rock by the curb. He looked upset, which I expected, but I was glad to see him without cuts and bruises while covered in the blood of someone else.

"You had us really worried," Jughead said as we approached him. "You okay?"

Archie sighed, "How'd you know where I was?"

"FP called," I explained as I glanced at his bruised hand, "Said he had a bad feeling. What happened?"

Archie's gaze dropped to his hands. "I, uh. I came looking for...but he's just this dumb kid."

"Who is?" Betty asked from over my shoulder, her hands clasped together tightly.

"The kid driving the car, hit my dad..." Archie struggled to get the words out. "He's this stupid, terrified... it's something that I would've done. Taking the car out without permission. Hell, I did it a dozen times, and his dad was..he was protecting him. The same way mine would've." He rubbed at his eyes to rid them of the tears that were inevitably forming. "I don't know what the hell I'm doing, you guys. I can't believe I'm here, I can't believe I did this. I'm a terrible son."