Quiz Show // Part One

tw // mentions of abusive parents

--

Winter had come to Riverdale, and everyone was suffering from an acute case of Quiz Show fever. No one more so than Savanna Marrows, who was pouring her considerable energies into beating the tar out of Stonewall Prep's team led by, wouldn't you know it, Bret Weston Wallis. The only person immune to Quiz Show fever? My pal, Archie Andrews, who was feeling a lot less lonely these days with the presence of his uncle lingering around the house.

I had done a lot of studying and preparing in my life. When you grow up in an environment that doesn't encourage success or push you to be dedicated to a cause, it's possible you may find yourself wanting that as an individual down the line. Needless to say, my father was never one to want me to succeed in school, but once I moved in with the Lodges, it was all I wanted to do. It was something to get my mind off the chaos so I could completely indulge myself into something that surrounded me and showed what I was capable of. It lingered in my head that a lot of people didn't think I could be successful and towards the top of my class because of how I grew up, but I was bound and determined to prove them wrong.

My SAT score of 1510 and even my final ACT score of 35 spoke of how hard I pushed myself to be what my father never taught me to be. This Quiz Show was about to help with that even more.

Nothing was better, however, than starting off the morning with an empty dorm room and Jughead Jones.

"Thank God for Bret's morning workouts."

I groaned as I hid my face into his bare shoulder. "Why do you always bring up people we don't like after we have sex. You're ruining the moment."

Jughead laughed, his fingers running through my chaotic hair. "I just love getting you all wound up."

Understatement of the fucking year, Jones.

I rolled my eyes at his cheesy comment as I looked up at him, only for him to be smiling back down at me. "Why are you smiling?" I asked as I pulled the blankets up to hide my chin.

He scoffed and shoved them away from my face. "Don't do that. You know how I feel about that. And I'm smiling because of you."

"Me?"

"Everything," He clarified, "You're here, I turned in my draft for the Baxter Brothers book, and Yale said-"

I glanced up at him. "Yale said what?" I asked when he didn't continue. I paused and shifted to lean up on my elbow and look at him. "Did you get accepted into Yale and not tell me?"

"Yeah, I think I did."

"Wow," I mumbled in shock, not out of the fact that he didn't tell me, but just because it actually happened.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I'm just... processing. That's amazing, Jug, I'm so happy for you and proud of you."