Varsity Blues // Part One

Spirit Week had arrived at Riverdale High and for the first time in years, the students actually had something to celebrate

Spirit Week had arrived at Riverdale High and for the first time in years, the students actually had something to celebrate. The long-suffering Bulldogs, in a large part thanks to breakout star Munroe Moore, were finally going to the state finals, where they would take on the undisputed titans of the gridiron, the Stonewall Stallions. For Principal Honey, who commissioned an article about the game from ace reporters, Savanna Marrows and Betty Cooper, the championship was, at last, something positive to promote. But, for Riverdale's star QB, Archie Andrews, this Spirit Week was special for a different reason. It would be the last of his career.

Let me tell you, there was nothing better than starting your Friday morning off with testing different rum recipes. Reggie was next to me, the two of us sitting in front of multiple different bottles of rum that Veronica had whipped up in an attempt to find the best recipe.

"Mmm, gotta go with number three. It's damn good, Ronnie," Reggie decided as he finished what was left in his glass.

"Agreed," I noted as I swirled the liquor around. "It just has a smoothness to it that the others don't."

Veronica smiled as she leaned against the bar. "It's my special shimmy on Abuelita's recipe."

I glanced up at her in confusion. "I thought Dad patented the recipe so you couldn't use it?"

She pursed her lips as she thought over the question. "Daddy may have patented our family recipe for his own profit, but this is a modified spiced rum with a unique flavor profile. Now, it's time to introduce Luna Rum to the outside world."

--

I had never seen Riverdale High so decorated in my life. Yeah, there was some school spirit every now and then, but this was insane. Everyone was in school colors or wearing spirit wear of some kind. Somehow my plaid skirt and long sleeve black shirt seemed weird even though most of the time, I was the one underdressed.

"Hey," I greeted Betty as I walked into the Blue and Gold office. Betty and I were working together on writing an article about the football team's performance in the season finals. In news of them taking on Stonewall, we were conducting interviews to get a well-rounded opinion article that focused on the team and the school.

"Morning!" She smiled as she stood up from the desk. "I have the tape all set up. Archie said he, Munroe, and Reggie will be here soon."

I nodded as I set my bag down before taking my seat in my chair. "Reggie came here with Veronica and me so he should be here any minute. Did you get my list of topics?"

Betty held up an ink-covered paper in response. "Right here, ready to go."

The boys piled in shortly after, already excited and full of energy as they scattered themselves around the room. Betty hit record for the audiotape before clapping her hands together. "Okay, so, last game of the season. How do you feel, Arch?"