Hereditary // Part Three

Calm didn't last long for any of us, which was never anything new, but sometimes it totally caught me off guard

Calm didn't last long for any of us, which was never anything new, but sometimes it totally caught me off guard. Jughead had called, saying that he confronted his teacher Mr. DuPont, who claimed to have written the first Baxter Brothers novel, which my boyfriend obviously proved wrong.  After getting yelled at, Jughead's only teacher he's confided in, Mr. Chipping, took a leap out of the window to which none of his classmates blinked an eye about. The whole story was wrapped in a beautiful bow when DuPont announced his takeover as teacher for the rest of the year.

I relayed all of this to Veronica as we sat in the living room of the Pembrooke with glasses of wine. The week was finally over, and with the remainder of our so-called family out for the night, we were taking the opportunity to relax. Veronica had made the decision to stay at the Pembrooke, so as to keep a close eye on Hermosa and Daddy mainly, but also to remind them that they weren't in charge here.

"And his classmates weren't surprised, at all, whatsoever?" My sister asked as she took a bite out of a cookie.

I shook my head. "No. It was like they expected it. Or they'd seen it before. Either way, I told him, as usual, to come home and not go back but now he's determined to figure out all the secrets."

"Speaking of determined."

I looked over my shoulder to see Hermosa walk into the room, dressed for a night out. "Can we help you?" I asked.

"I am off to meet Papi, but I wanted to have a little chat. You know, sister to sisters," She said as she sat in one of the armchairs across from us.

Veronica hummed. "Let me guess, Daddy sent you. One last valiant tactic to get us back into the family fold."

Hermosa didn't answer for a moment and instead folded her hand and placed them on her lap. "You two are incredibly smart, but you don't know our father as well as you both think you do."

"There is literally nothing you could tell me about Hiram Lodge that would surprise me," I laughed, "And I haven't even known him as long as both of you."

"My mommy was a singer at one of Papi's Miami clubs, Sala de Oro (Golden Room), where they met. They had a fling."

"Mhmm," Veronica hummed, "Tale as old as time. He took advantage of her, she got pregnant, he left her high and dry."

Hermosa shook her head without a beat. "Actually, he took care of her, until she died. And then he took care of me. Papi and your mother are renewing their vows tomorrow, and they'd like for you to come."

"You're kidding," I choked, "After all of this-"

Hermosa shrugged. "Come, or don't. I'm just the messenger. Look, your both entitled to your own opinions of him because I get you both have gone through a lot, but the father I know... there's good in him. So, piensa lo (Think about it), okay?" She stepped into the study for a moment as Veronica and I shared a look. I set my drink down and stood up to follow the dark-haired girl, only to freeze when I entered the doorway.