Tangerine // Part Two

chapter warning: talks of parental abuse and suicide, jason's freaking dead body (again)

--

As promised, my sister spared no expense in decking out La Bonne Nuit for the last night before the liquor license expired. The speakeasy was absolutely packed and music was playing amongst the various conversations of the night. My leg bounced slightly as I sat across the bar from Veronica, watching as people continued to pour in.

"This is insane, Ronnie," I gasped in amazement as I watched her line up shots for waiting customers. "What are you going to do, though? After midnight?"

My sister shrugged slightly at the situation. "Not to worry, Vanna. I'm sure La Bonne Nuit will return to cocktails and proper liquor soon. For now, however, here's another beverage to entertain you until my performance."

I took the offered drink with a smile just as someone stepped up next to me. "You're dressed to kill me, huh? Am I in any danger?" Daddy asked as she spoke to Ronnie.

"Not tonight," She quipped with a smile. "Just cutting loose before the clock strikes 12."

"Hey, Ronnie," Reggie interrupted as he came to stand on my other side and set an empty tray down. "You got someone asking for you. Says it's official."

With a somewhat nervous look, Veronica stepped away from the bar to attend to the customer in question. I watched her walk up to the table before focusing my attention on the person next to me. "So, let me guess. You couldn't just stop at the liquor license, huh? There's always something more."

Daddy laughed and took a sip of his whiskey. "Well, you do catch on quick, mija," He responded with a tight-lipped smile and raised his glass towards an onlooking Veronica before leaving the bar's surface.

As Veronica took to the stage to perform alongside Kevin, my phone vibrated in my lap and pulled my attention to Jughead's name and picture across the screen. "Hey, babe," I greeted as I tried to hear the other side of the conversation.

"Savanna, where are you?"

"Uh, the speakeasy?" I responded with a frown. "Why, what's wrong?"

"I'm on my way. Be outside in five."

I shook my head as I pulled the phone away from my ear. I waited until the mini-performance ended and finished my drink before slipping away back up to the quiet chaos of Pop's. The parking lot was filled, but Jughead was already running through the gravel when I got off the stairs.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" I asked as I handed him the keys to my car without further question. He opened the passenger door for me and practically buckled me in like a child before running to the other side and jumping in to drive. He sat silently as he started the car and backed out of the parking spot before deciding to speak.