Witness for the Prosecution // Part One

The coffee in my hand was warm to the touch as I shifted through my locker at the end of the school day

The coffee in my hand was warm to the touch as I shifted through my locker at the end of the school day. The halls were somewhat quiet today and they were quickly clearing out so I made sure to close my door a little slower so it didn't echo down the hall.

"Savanna!"

I stopped walking when I heard Betty's voice calling behind me. "Hey, Betts. What's up?"

"Look, I uh... I just wanted to apologize, about this whole moving back home thing. I should've talked to you first before you had to find out from Jughead," She apologized as she wrung her hands while we walked through the halls.

There was a part of me that didn't want to accept the apology, but I felt like I had to, especially if I was going to be over at said house often to see my boyfriend. "It's fine, Betty. It's a weird situation, but it's not your fault, so I get it."

"On another topic, how would you feel about joining me for a Junior FBI program?" She gave me a guilty smile. "I'm on a mission to get Kevin on board, and I figured since you're looking into criminal justice this may be something you're interested in?"

"Oh, my God, yes!" I couldn't hold back my excitement at the idea of possibly getting a small jumpstart into my focus for college. "Yes, totally. Is there any chance I could get Felicity too? We're doing the same major and this would be so good for us."

Betty clapped her hands together. "Perfect, yeah. I'll send you all the information soon, okay? I've gotta run and get our fourth member." She pointed towards Kevin who was standing by his locker. I nodded in response before she ran to convince Kevin to join us in this new adventure.

"There you are!" Veronica suddenly appeared in front of me with a worried expression on her face. "We have to go! Mrs. Andrews is meeting with Mom in 20 minutes and we have to be there." She grabbed my wrist and tugged me along out to the parking lot where her car was parked.

As much as I didn't want to go sit in a prison cell and listen to the adult talk, I knew Mom would appreciate us being there to help her and at least see what she's going through. The building was chilly and dark, as I suspected, but Mrs. Andrews was there to lead the way to where she could speak with Mom privately about what was ahead.

"Seems that the district attorney is pinning her entire case on linking you to Hiram's would-be murderer, Tall Boy Petite," Mrs. Andrews began as she worked through her files.

"Which is absurd," Mom interjected, "I mean, I've never even had any interaction with the man."

Mary nodded in understanding but continued to explain, "Well, there is still the issue of the large sum of money the police found in your monogrammed bag in Tall Boy's apartment."

"Obviously, Hiram planted it there to frame me."

"FP will testify that he searched Tall Boy's apartment right after he died. He'll swear that there was no bag of money in evidence at that time."