Chapter eighteen: Harper

"What the hell was that?" I exploded as soon as we were out of earshot from Carter.

"What?" Danny asked annoyingly.

"That outburst, what is your problem with him?" I asked him.

"I just don't trust him, okay?" He said.

"Why? What reason do you have to not trust him?"

"What reason do you have to trust him?" He fired back. "This isn't like you, Harper, you don't normally trust this easily."

"Well maybe it's time I started. How am I ever supposed to meet anyone new, if I automatically distrust every person who crosses my path?"

"I'm not saying you should distrust everyone, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious. Especially around someone like him."

What?

"What are you talking about?"

"All I'm saying is, he's probably seen things that may have made him... defensive. And he won't hesitate to harm you if you upset him. So it's best to be careful."

"How would you know that?" I snapped at him.

"He lives in darkness, Harper! How can you trust someone like that?"

"That is such a stereotypical response and you know it!"

"Why can't you love someone who won't hurt you?"

"Like whom?" I snapped at him.

"Someone who already loves you." He snapped back before walking away.

I wondered what he'd meant. But I hadn't gone after him to ask. I'd just watched him as he walked away and wondered if he would come back.