Chapter fifty-four: Danny

"Help me, dammit." He said. 

"Why would I do that?" 

"Your family will suffer." He seethed. "I'll make them suffer." 

I laughed. "I don't think you're really in the position to be threatening anyone, do you?" 

"Call an ambulance." He snapped. 

"I don't think so." 

"That bastard has to pay." 

I smirked. "He already has." 

"Make him pay." 

"You tried to kill my best friend." I scowled. "You don't get to make demands any more." 

"Oh so you're on their side now?" He said. "Who's gonna protect your family from the boys when they retaliate?"

"I will." I said. "I protected them before, and I'll protect them now." 

"You made sacrifices." He hissed. "I told you to pick, you chose your mum." 

"No, I chose my family." I corrected. "Harper is my family." 

He gave a half-grunt half-laugh. "You youngsters think the whole world is your family. You have to decide what is most important to you, when the next wave of Kickers are ready, they'll target the people who took out the boss." He smirked. "That's how it's always worked." 

"Not unless the new boss gives the orders." I said. "Your son has taken over now, and I have no doubt he'll be setting some new rules." 

He scowled. 

"Help me up." 

I laughed and kicked his side, making blood spray. 

He cursed and gripped his side again. "You bastard!" 

"That was for Harper." 

I kicked him again. 

"And that was for the years you took away from my life." 

I kept kicking him until he couldn't scream anymore. Until he was still on the ground. I felt eyes watching my every move. To hell with it, if they kill me now, then at least I would have done my job. 

I raised my eyes to meet a young bloke. His eyes almost identical to his dad's. 

"Let's get him out of here before the cops or the Kickers show up." He said. 

We picked him up and started the slow walk of soldiers who had finally won a battle in this minefield. 

~*~

Jake took care of the clean up. Once the body was safely disposed of, he handed me a cigarette. 

"Thanks." I didn't usually smoke, but today was an unusual day. 

After a few calming breaths, he looked me dead in the eyes. 

"You need to run." 

"What about you?" 

He shrugged. "I'm gonna take the fall for this. But I don't want to bring everyone down with me." 

I gave him a look. His steely gaze was just like his fathers'. There was no shifting this one. 

"Good luck staying out of the spotlight." I said. 

He just gave a grim smile. 

"It was worth it." He said. "If you see her again, tell her it was worth it for me."