Chapter twenty-five: Danny

She doesn't get it. I mean, she isn't supposed to get it. But it would be nice if she would at least listen to me. My fists clenched. That boy was the reason behind everything I did. Every lie I told Harper. It was because of him. Because of his family.

She could never know. He knew me. I know he did. His gaze lingered on me too long, he must have recognised me. And that was worrying. What if he remembered? What if he remembered that day? I shouldn't have been there. I shouldn't have got caught up with them. If he hadn't gotten involved and died, then I wouldn't be in this situation right now.

My fists clenched tighter, my fingernails digging into my palms. I couldn't let her find out. I knew it was a mistake. Probably the biggest mistake in my life. One that could potentially cost me my life. I just had to make sure that no one else ever found out. Especially not her.

I loved her too much to break her heart.

If only she realised that. Maybe I wouldn't be in this situation right now? I just hope that she sees I'm the one she's supposed to love before it's too late. I'm scared of what will happen if she doesn't. What if she runs with him? If she stays with the wolves, she'll get hurt, or worse.

But will she really be much better by my side?

As much as I hated to admit it, whilst having her with him was the most fucking annoying thing ever, definitely not what I had expected three months ago, maybe she would be safer there?

But I was feeling selfish. And if I couldn't have her, then he sure as hell couldn't. I just had to win her over before it was too late.

If I couldn't save him, then I wanted to save her. 

It was the least I could do.