Part 42 - The Key

"What are you doing here? Are you mad?" Jinyoung demanded furiously from the older actor. His initial shock was suddenly replaced by nothing but anger. He quickly remembered what his ex had done to Mark in Jeju and he never had a chance to throw at least a punch at him since Kwon was still in a hospital bed.

"Son, you haven't even shaken hands with your own father yet, and you're already complaining? Listen, we invited him, okay? He's our guest of honor, so behave." Mr. Park warned as he put a hand on his son's shoulder. Mark still couldn't believe his own eyes, he wanted to get out of that place immediately. He gazed at the man's face and he wasn't able to see a single scar on his features. He wondered how many specialists the actor had to consult, how many surgeries he had to go through to look that good after what he had done to him.

"This is a family reunion. I don't see any reason for him to stay. Get out!" Jinyoung shouted as he came dangerously close to the actor's personal space. Mark held his arm back, still unable to utter a single word. His hands trembled, and his husband could feel the amount of his stress through his shuddering touch.

"Park Jinyoung, where are your manners? Kwon is a friend of the family now. You can't possible imagine how hard it was for us when you selfishly left for America. He came to us, and filled a huge empty space that you left in our hearts. He told us about your past relationship and even educated us about the subject. He pleaded your case to us! If your father and I are ready to accept that you love another man now, you should thank Kim Kwon for it. It took us sometime to understand the situation you were in, but with his constant visits and the books he would bring us regarding same sex relationships, we were able to open our minds." His mom's words echoed in the room. Mark looked even more terrified. He knew Kwon had an ace under his sleeve. He had no idea why that man hadn't told his husband's parents that he was the one who assaulted him at Monsant Café yet. If he really had spent so much time with the Parks he could've already done it years ago. He grew more nervous by each second. The American struggled to comprehend his actions. He wished he know what to expect.

"How come you guys let someone like him inside our house? You don't know how he's like. I don't care about the lies he told you. If you guys don't make him leave, we will!" the younger said bravely as his eyes shot daggers at his former co-worker and ex-boyfriend.

"Don't be rude, Jin. Of course he can stay. Don't worry about me. He's your ex, I'm your husband. He was part of your past, I'm your present and future. Nothing will change that. If your parents feel more comfortable with him around to mediate the interactions during this dinner, I don't see why he should leave. The more the merrier." Mark finally opened his mouth, and he didn't sound as intimidated as he actually was. His hold on his husband's arms tightened and Jinyoung knew it was sign for him to keep his feelings in check.

"Listen to your wife, Jinyoungie. I'm actually on your side here. By the way, it's nice to see you again." Kwon gave the singer his most heartthrobing smile and winked at Mark, who simply looked away.

"It's a pity I cannot say the same about seeing you." Jinyoung sneered at him. The older actor just ignored his animosity. He was aware that underneath the singer's unparalleled wrath there was fear. He was sure Jinyoung thought he was there to create a deeper abyss between his parents and his husband. Kwon beamed as he watched Mark's breath hitch when he approached him.

"Still pretty, Mark! Look at you all tanned! L.A. was indeed generous with you. Damn, it's not like you needed to add anything else to your looks, but well, now you have a husband, right? It must be a lot of pressure to live up to his expectations. After all, a gorgeous actor like him working so far away from home, while you wait for him to come back, must be unnerving. The competition is no kidding these days." Kwon's provocation was expected, but Mark's response wasn't.