Thirteen

Brooke walked downstairs and smiled as she saw Mia. Tom had offered to have the little girl overnight so Ella could have a peaceful evening.

Mia ran over and held her arms up for Brooke. "Uncy Tom sayed daddy and mummy are taking me and my Booke camping," she said.

Brooke looked at her father who nodded. "It's true. They're on their way now."

Brooke smiled and nodded. "Are you coming?"

"Yeah. We're all going. It'll be good."

***

Brooke didn't know how she felt about going camping after all that she had been through. She knew she wanted to see Simon. But he was away on a course which hurt her.

Tom looked at Brooke. "I thought this would be a good idea. Take your mind off everything."

"It's camping. What can I say? Never been a nature girl."

Tom laughed. "I've been told Mr Lowsley is joining us. Max is using it as a management team thing."

Brooke frowned. "I thought he was away on a course? That's what Ella said," she told him.

***

They arrived at the camp site. Ella smiled at her brother and niece. "How are my favourite people?" She asked.

"Kinda okay about this. I've never been a big camping girl."

Ella laughed. "Well school breaks up tomorrow for half term. Thought this would be cute. Mia is excited. She's trying to help put the tent up. Well when I say trying, I mean she's sitting there holding an hammer," she said. She saw the look on Brooke's face. "Mr Lowsley will be here soon."

***

Brooke was sitting with Mia when another car pulled up. She looked up to see Simon. But she felt her heart break when she saw him with another woman. "Hiya. This is my girlfriend, Sue."

Brooke rolled her eyes. "I thought this was a family weekend? Not a shag fest," she said as she picked up Mia and walked off over to the lake.

Mia looked at Brooke. "Why you sad? Mummy say dat your bully no at daddy work no mores," she said.

Brooke smiled. "It's okay BabyGirl. Brooke is being silly. I just think that I need to spend some time with my favourite girl."

***

Later on that evening, Brooke was sitting under a tree. Simon walked over. "Why have you been avoiding me?" He asked.

"I haven't. I'm just not in the mood for you to play fake with me. I thought you were on a course this weekend."

Simon sighed. "I lied. I didn't think you'd be coming. That's why I said it."

Brooke rolled her eyes. "Charming. I mean, it's not like we're even official. We had sex a couple times. Nothing more."

Both of them unaware that Mia was standing there. "You do what mummy and daddy do?" She asked.

Brooke paled. She picked up Mia and sighed. "Look, you can't say anything okay? I'll get into trouble and he will. And I won't be allowed to see you for ages otherwise," she said.

"Me no say nothing."

Brooke felt guilty about what she had said to Mia, but could she trust her little cousin to keep the secret? Or would everything get messy?