1. Cold Soul

(this fanfic is gonna start really slow, but I promise it's gonna pick up and be suspenseful!

But if you really wanna skip to something interesting, chapter 3 or chapter 4 is when it starts picking up.)

Hinata rested his head on his chin, twirling his pencil with his index finger and thumb. He pressed his lips together, his teacher's words flying right over his head. What did any of this matter, anyway? After high school he was just going to become a bum. He couldn't get into college, even with a sports scholarship.

Hinata was just that dumb, in his opinion. He frowned, his lower lip jutting out as he pouted. The tension in his shoulders released as the bell chimed.

The school day was over, at last. Practice was cancelled today, Coach had to go to a funeral for his friend's brother. Apparently the guy had gone into a crazy rage without warning, foaming at the mouth and all that stuff. Sounded like rabies, except the guy just collapsed on the floor, twitching like crazy. He died instantly after. It was all over the news.

Hinata grabbed his school bag, putting his stuff inside before getting up and walking out.

With a start, his face smacked into someone's chest. Scowling a bit, he backed up and looked up, surprised to see Kageyama's eternally pissed face glaring back down at him.

"Jeez, Kageyama, you scared me." He muttered, waiting for the inevitable 'dumb ass' to leave the other boy's lips.

"Watch where you're going then, dumb ass." Yep, there it was. Hinata cracked a light smile at this, good ol' Kageyama. You can count on him to insult you for no good reason.

But... Even then, at least that made one consistent thing in his life. Everything else was, well, changing. The season included. It was already getting to the point where the coldness chilled your bones. It was going to be a freezing winter.

Hinata sighed, and weaved around Kageyama, leaving him a little shocked at how he just left. The blue eyed teen simply shrugged though, continuing his walk through the hall. Hinata darted to the front gate, getting on his bike as he started pedaling home. Leaves rained down on him from the dying trees, his face lit with the white of the clouds above him.

A droplet of rain hit his cheek, causing him to swerve a little in surprise, nearly hitting a little old lady. "Sorry!" He called back in a sheepishly apologetic manner, offering her a glance over his shoulder. It began to sprinkle, but it was barely noticeable. Hinata kept biking until he made it home, hopping off. A small ginger girl ran out, waving her arms at him.

It was Natsu, his kid sister. "Hey, Natsu." He grinned, chuckling a bit as the girl wrapped her tiny arms around him.

"Shoyo! You're back." Natsu greeted warmly as he patted her back lightly. She pulled away and dragged him by his hand into the house with a surprising amount of force. "Mom says you have to play dolls with me." Hinata made a face as she said dolls.

"But-"

"No buts! Unless you wanna play tea party-"

"Okay, okay, I get it. Dolls it is. After I do my homework." Natsu reluctantly agreed to this compromise, tottering off to play with her toys on her lonesome.

Hinata walked to his room, tossing his school bag on his desk before he dropped on his bed, curling up. He pulled his knees to his chest, tightly hugging his pillow to his heartbeat. He stayed like this for a moment, pondering his recent behavior.

Hinata had been off lately. He wasn't his usual bright self, which could be compared to when the sun is covered with clouds, unable to let out his true colors.

Even he noticed the change in himself, and so did his teammates, as they began to distance themselves from him subconsciously. His heart ached as he thought about it. They were his first friends that enjoyed volleyball as much as him. Yes, his middle school friends played with him, but it just wasn't the same.

Hinata picked himself back up, shedding his school blazer while he walked to his desk, switching on the desk light. He began to work on his homework, and as he reached the English homework his forehead creased with frustration.

English was never his forte. Scratch that, school in general was never his forte. The only thing that held him together in school was volleyball.

The rest of his day played out like any other, except for the lingering suspicion in the back of his mind that his entire world was going to change in a matter of time.

It was always only a matter of time.