9. An Escapade

(I make up some stuff about Hinata's family in this, and I haven't read the manga so I have no idea if anything I say in this is completely wrong in the manga. They don't really talk about their family in the anime)

Hinata swiveled around at the sound of the wicked laughter. As expected, Sergeant loomed over him, a crazed look in the older man's eye. Hinata squeaked and ran, hiding behind Sugawara, who was the closest person to him. Shaking like a leaf, he peeked around Suga's shoulder, watching with disdain at how Hinata's fear of him made him laugh.

"What the hell do you all think you're doing?" Sergeant asked, an odd easy-going tone in his words. But Hinata knew better. He could hear the lunacy tucked behind the man's facade. The woman stepped up to him, seemingly unfazed by his intimidating presence.

"They're leaving." She growled, staring right up at him. Sergeant seemed to find this funny.

"Very funny. You think I'm just going to let them walk out? I haven't finished picking on that ginger over there." Sergeant raised a finger, pointing it at Hinata. He darted behind Sugawara again, and surprising even himself, he pulled the gun out of his waistband. He checked to make sure the safety was off, and it was. Breathing heavily, he stepped around Suga and pointed the gun at Sergeant, his hands shaking terribly.

"What are you doing, short stuff?! You're gonna get yourself killed!" The woman shouted at him, but he just ignored her. His hatred of Sergeant was fueling him.

"Y-You're gonna let us go. And if you don't, I'll shoot you!" Hinata stammered, his finger started to sink into the trigger. Sergeant shook his head in disbelief.

"You think you can shoot me?" Sergeant laughed once more. He took a walkie talkie out of his hilt. "Release them, now." He spoke into it, and another voice responded back.

"Roger that, sir. Releasing subjects 32 through 80." The voice crackled mid sentence. The woman's face paled. Why was she looking so terrified? What were they releasing?

"Looks like my fun with the lot of you, specially you carrot top, is coming to an end. I'll miss you, too, Sanyu." Sergeant shrugged as he finally said the woman's name. Sanyu, huh. But why was he calling her by her first name? Sergeant walked up to Hinata, putting his hand on the gun and pushing his hands down. Sergeant quickly pulled out a switchblade, flicking it up and pressing it to Hinata's neck in a swift movement, the tip tracing his Adam's apple.

Hinata's eyes went wide as a stinging pain erupted on his throat. Sergeant made a small, shallow slit. Suga made a move to help Hinata, but Sergeant held up a finger.

"Come close to him and I slit his pathetic throat so deep that his head falls off." Sergeant snarled, and Hinata knew he meant it. Hinata gulped, eyes pleading for someone to do something, anything.

His mind suddenly cleared, clarity filling him as he realized what he had to do. A split second later, and Hinata pushed the arm holding the knife away, quickly turning around and kneeing the bastard right in the groin, making him groan and drop the knife. Hinata kicked it away in the moments panic, lifting his gun up and aimed right at Sergeant's head. Shocked gasps filled his ears as he squeezed the trigger down. A huge bang made his ears ring, and something wet splashed on his cheek.

Hinata stumbled backwards, feeling light headed as he watched Sergeant collapse. The world rushed around him in a blur, instant guilt striking his conscience. What had he done? Did he just kill the man? Sanyu.. the woman... That was her name, right? Sergeant had said it. Sanyu screamed, rushing towards the man. She held him in her arms. Why? Why would she hold that awful man? Why was she so upset?

Suddenly, his senses came back and he stared at Sergeant's body with shock. It evaporated in an instant as he realized that he had missed Sergeant's head, instead shooting the man right in the shoulder. Sanyu pressed her hands on the hole the bullet had made, desperately trying to stop the bleeding. Her frantic crying was so loud it made him feel sick.