17. A Countdown to the Inevitable

"Time to join me on the roof, Hinata." Nagisa smiled, maliciousness hiding behind his stance.

"W-Wait-" Hinata stuttered as the man ushered him away from the three people he knew very well. Kiyoko stared after him with wide eyes and trembling lips. Takeda adjusted his glasses with a worried look, but didn't make a move forward. Ennoshita reached a hand out slowly, but it was too late.

Their faces disappeared from view as Nagisa roughly shoved him into the stairwell.

"Well? Start walking." Nagisa growled, and Hinata nodded slowly as he began up the stairs, the man following behind him wordlessly.

It didn't take long before they were at the top of the stairs. Hinata stared at the door, shaking ever so slightly, before pushing it open and walking out onto the concrete roof.

"Hinata?" The quiet voice of Yamaguchi made his head swivel around, before landing on the timid boy. "He asked you here, too?" Hinata was too scared to glare at him.

"Yeah." He whispered.

"So. Why didn't you tell me Natsu was bitten?" Nagisa stared at Hinata with the deepest, most intense eye contact he had ever had.

"I-I was scared. I was scared." He repeated, fumbling over his words.

"You know what we do with the bitten here? Let alone, a liar?" Nagisa's voice was awfully cheery, but his words weren't so kind.

"No..." Hinata muttered in unison with Yamaguchi.

"What were those pills you were talking about?" Nagisa pressed further, ignoring his previous words.

"There's no pills!" Yamaguchi answered quickly, his gaze getting shifty as he started to fidget.

"That's funny, isn't it? Because I think you were talking about," Nagisa paused, smiling serenely as he pulled a bottle out of his pocket, "this. Correct?"

"Give me those!" Yamaguchi blurted out, his hand outstretched as he reached towards Nagisa. Nagisa moved his hand away quickly.

"Why do you want them so bad?" Nagisa asked innocently, as if he wasn't being completely manipulative.

"You're the one that took them." Hinata glared at the brown haired man. Yamaguchi's shoulders shrunk down with a sense of guilt.

"You need them, huh? To keep from becoming a zombie?" Nagisa asked lightly, and neither of them answered. They didn't need to. The answer was on their facial expressions. "Well?"

"No." Yamaguchi lied terribly.

"Then you wouldn't mind if I..." Nagisa trailed off as he unscrewed the cap off the bottle.

"Wait!" Yamaguchi yelled, lunging towards him, right as the cap clicked off.

"Wait, Yamaguchi, be careful!" Hinata shouted as Yamaguchi reached a desperate hand out towards the bottle. Nagisa moved it away, hovering over the side of the building. "You're gonna knock it out of his hands! Be careful!" Hinata repeated.

"Give it back. Give it back!" Yamaguchi cried, his hand waved wildly and frantically as he tried to grab the bottle.

"Then tell me if it prevents you from becoming a zombie!" Nagisa gritted his teeth, grunting as he tried to keep Yamaguchi from grabbing the bottle.

"Alright, fine! It does!" Yamaguchi caved, his voice barely above a whisper.

Nagisa smiled triumphantly, before moving the bottle further out.

"I thought you were going to give it to me?" Yamaguchi furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, a deep dread filling the both of them.

Nagisa licked his lips and grinned widely. Slowly, he began to tilt the bottle, one capsule falling to the floor below them. Hinata gasped, eyes stinging and hair whipping around wildly as the wind started to pick up. The sky was covered in gray, gloomy clouds, making the atmosphere dark.