11. Hour of Discovery

"Wow." Hinata uttered breathlessly. As much as the sight of the destroyed city was horrifying, it was also beautiful in a morbid way. The jagged edges of flames on a nearby car danced a little too close to the group, emitting an unforgiving heat. Hinata welcomed it, however, as he was freezing cold. Some gunshots popped in the distance, making him perk his head up, but it was too far away to really worry about.

They had a lot of other things on their minds, anyway.

"What do we do now?" Yamaguchi's voice trembled, his hair getting into his eyes as the wind blew harshly.

"Find a place to stay, I guess." Sugawara breathed, fiddling with his thumbs.

"Why not just sleep in the truck?" Oikawa quirked a brow, confusion on his face. Iwaizumi socked him right in the back of the head, making the pretty boy whine and complain. "What was that for?"

"It's cause you're an idiot. How can we sleep in the truck?! There's six of us and barely any room for a single person. And clearly we can't sleep in the bed of the truck because we could get eaten alive in our sleep." Iwaizumi hissed in disappoinment. Hinata sheepishly looked towards the floor. He, too, had thought they were sleeping in the truck. Maybe this was why he was failing school.

"What about that office building over there? We could see if it's unlocked." Kageyama suggested, pointing to a brick building with too many windows.

"Yeah. That might work." Yamaguchi said, surveying the building.

"What do you think, Sugawara?" Oikawa asked, and every turned to face Suga expectantly. Hinata realized that in that moment, without actually saying it, they had all crowned Suga the leader of the group.

It made sense, considering how sensible and level headed he was.

Suga seemed speechless as he stared back at the other teens, who were all looking to him for guidance.

"Uh-- yeah, let's give it a shot." Suga finally decided, and so Hinata walked towards the building, before some unknown force jerked him back by the hood. He turned around and glowered at whoever it was, and not to his surprise, it was Kageyama.

"Why do you keep doing that?!" Hinata whined, feeling extra small in that moment.

"Cause you keep doing stupid things." Kageyama retorted, and Hinata held his hands up in a karate motion.

"Wanna fight, you bastard?!" Hinata scowled, before dropping his stance as a hand was placed on his shoulder.

"He's just looking out for you, Hinata." Oikawa smiled a little. Hinata tilted his head, blinking a couple of times. He hadn't really thought of it that way.

"But still.. did he have to be so mean about it." Hinata muttered to himself, picking at a piece of the bandages on his hands.

"You shouldn't go alone." Kageyama said, and Sugawara nodded in agreement.

"Kageyama, you go with him." Sugawara glanced between them. Kageyama's mouth dropped open.

"What? Why do I have to babysit the dumbass?" Kageyama crossed his arms. Hinata opened his mouth in protest.

"But-"

"No buts. Find a weapon or something you can use to defend yourself. We can't use the guns cause those are gonna attract the reds." Sugawara waved his hands around. Hinata stalked off a few feet away, Kageyama, clearly annoyed, went the other way. Hinata rummaged through random scraps and debris before finding a fairly heavy and sturdy chunk of wood. That would do the trick. He leaned against a car's front door, watching Kageyama look for something to use.