23. Treacherous Path

The road to Tokyo was a long one. Ordinarily they'd have no idea which roads to take, and how to get there, but they managed to find a map in a gas station.

It was terrifying to walk the streets in constant fear for his life, but Hinata managed. They encountered a few reds here and there, but they took care of them without much complications.

The boys were all rather solemn, and not much words passed between them. The losses they had suffered took a severe toll on them all, and Hinata knew it. Sugawara was always rigid, a resting frown on his face. Kageyama had a glare always playing in his eyes. Tsukishima barely spoke, quiet all the time. Kinoshita wouldn't stop fidgeting, and he had a somber glint in his eyes.

And Hinata, well, he just couldn't stop thinking about the night on the roof. About the gunshot. He couldn't believe Yamaguchi was dead. Like his sister. Like Daichi. And like so many others.

"Hinata, to your right." Tsukishima hissed bringing him back to reality. He turned, holding his knife tightly. A red with long blonde hair and torn up arms came running towards him. He gulped, before swinging the knife towards the red and into its forehead, blood spitting out and onto his face. It's open, poised jaw fell limp, hiding it's rotten teeth as it slumped to the floor. Hinata, emotionless, sheathed the knife back into his pocket.

"That's all of them," Suga muttered, swinging his weapon of choice around: a crowbar. Of course. A few bodies of reds lay on the road, but there wasn't many. They took care of them, after all. "Kageyama, check the map."

Kageyama pulled the wrinkled paper open, and Hinata peered over into the paper.

"Where are we right now?" Sugawara questioned, holding the crowbar across his shoulder, letting it rest there.

"We're close, maybe half a mile away." Kageyama replied, and Hinata felt hope bubble in him, in unison with several doubts. Would the evacuation zone still be safe? What if it was abandoned?

It appeared the other boys had their concerns as well, based on the apprehensive looks on each of their faces.

"Alright, good. Make sure you keep close in the group, guys, and don't walk too far behind. We don't know who, or what's out there, or even how dangerous this area is. This is a city, after all." Sugawara warned, and they all nodded.

But before they could even begin the short journey to the city, a loud rumbling sound caught their attention. Hinata swiveled around, mouth parting in shock as a tank turned the corner. Whoever was inside didn't appear to see them, as they drove down the trashed road, leaving black marks on the road.

"We have to follow the tank. It's probably going towards the evacuation site!" Suga spoke hurriedly, and so they began to chase after it. Hinata panted as they darted in the path left by the tank, following it. Minutes later, after losing the tank a couple of times, it started to slow, turning one last corner.

Hinata stared in awe at a massive gymnasium, watching as the people in the tank piled out. A man in a military uniform pressed about eight buttons on a key pad.

"Wait!" Hinata yelled out, causing Sugawara to shoot a glare his way. The man in the uniform whirled around, hand lifting his gun up. Hinata raised his hands up, as did the other boys. The man pressed a button on his radio,

"We've got about five survivors out here, they appear uninjured. What should we do with them?" The radio crackled as a weirdly familiar voice spoke,

"Bring them inside, to the hospital area. We'll have them checked to make sure they aren't bitten." Why did Hinata know that voice? It frustrated him, he recognized it and yet couldn't tell who it belonged too. Maybe whoever it was would welcome them inside.