Where Were You in the Morning

I'm offended - Theo

With what?- Emma

I thought that you would have texted me by now  -Theo

Well that's a bit presumptuous, don't you think? It's only been a couple of hours. Plus I didn't have your number, you took mine remember?-Emma

Do you always have a question for an answer? Theo

Depends on the person -Emma

She still couldn't believe it. Here she was, in her bedroom, barely containing her excitement of texting a cute boy. It was a miracle that she hadn't started dancing around the room yet- Arthur would surely notice if she did, and then would proceed to make as much fun of her as she could. 

Truthfully, Emma had been staring at her phone, debating when she should text Theo. She was new to this, and so had no experience of how to act. Before she could worry yet again, if her text had given the wrong impression, Theo replied;

Meet me at Rocky Bridge tomorrow at 6AM - Theo

Did this mean what she thought it meant? Is he asking her out? Or is it just a friend thing? Besides, it was one thing to talk to a person in a public place, it was another to go off into deserted forests at an hour where no one would be about. Emma had to think rationally. 

Are you sure you're not going to kill me where no one can hear me scream? Emma

Ouch, you sure no how to destroy a man's ego. C'mon Emma! It'll be worth it I promise- Theo

You do know that you are asking me to wake up at a time I don't think I've ever been awake for right? That's a tall order, considering you're some guy I've only met once or twice... Emma

Ahhh the questions again. You're never going to know how much fun you could have unless you try right?- Theo

Easily, Theo was wearing Emma down, she was out of excuses and was eager to go and see Theo again. Just do it Emma, you're going to regret it if you don't. 

Ok fine, I'll see you there x -Emma

Before checking the text she sent it. Only realising the kiss when it was too late. It was a habit she's picked up from her frequent texts to Charlotte, and now Emma was panicking to a whole new level. What did she just do? Oh god, Oh god Oh god-

YES! I'll see you there, can't wait x -Theo 

HE SENT A KISS BACK! 

Emma was screaming into her pillow, kicking her legs on her bed as she did so. Immediately after, she was on the phone to Charlotte, recounting their brief conversation so that they could squeal and dissect it together.

The next morning, despite the early hour, Emma woke up with excitement. Though she had no idea whatever this thing with Theo was, or what it wasn't. It did however, mean that Emma was extremely nervous. After getting ready, she tiptoed throughout the house to not wake anyone, in particular Arthur, up. 

After having made it safely outside, Emma began the short walk to Rocky Bridge. Rocky Bridge was a well known by the locals, and was named so for it wasn't a man made bridge but rather a line of rocks that had clustered together just enough for an easy walk over the stream. It was based at the foot of the hill where an ancient chalk drawing on the side had been visible for hundreds of years. In the summer, it was a common tourist attraction and was fairly busy as parents wanted to fill up time with their children. Upon arriving, Emma noticed that she was the first one here. There was no sign of Theo anywhere. 

'BOO' a voice screamed behind her. 

It took a moment to recognise, but after overcoming the shock, the voice registered immediately with Emma.

'Theo, are you kidding me right now? It's already way to early for me but here you are scaring me  with your face?' Emma teased with a smile.

'But why, I'm dashing' Theo responded, making Emma blush despite her previous comment. She was trying her hardest to play it cool, but Theo wasn't making it any easier. 

'Anyway, what is so amazing that we had to be here so early?' Emma asked, trying to change the topic. 

Theo flashed a smile to acknowledge that he noted that she had changed the topic, and proceeded to explain why they were there.

'Let's see the giant.' Theo suggested, referring to the chalk image. 

Was he kidding? Emma thought. Why did he drag her all the way out of bed to see the giant? She'd seen it many times before when she was little. Emma was about to refuse, but she caught the hopeful glance that Theo was giving her and all of a sudden, she was completely won over and willing to go along with it.

'Ok' Emma replied. There was nothing more she could say- she was already completely hopeless when it came to Theo. Look at where she was right now. If it were anyone else, there was no way that she would be here, and yet she was about to embark on what could only be considered  a hike with the sun only being up for about an hour. 

Theo grabbed Emma's hand, much to her delight and they began walking across the stream, careful not to trip and fall. As they made their way up the side of the hill, or mountain as Emma had dubbed it, they saw the enormous chalk drawing, both of them finding entertainment with it's nudity- as if they were 13 years old. Though summer, the air was still slightly crisp because of the early morning, the dew making the ground slippy. It was then that Theo learned how scared Emma was of heights.

'Why did you agree to come if you're so scared?' Theo asked teasingly and yet there was an element of pure curiosity that Emma detected in his voice laced with - a little hope?

'Because you asked me to.' Was all Emma gave in response, if she revealed anymore then she really thought that her cheeks would be permanently on fire. 

At her reply, Theo felt a little more optimistic that whatever they had was not just one sided. When they were texting last night, her responses were so calm and cool, they showed no interest in him whatsoever. Yet, here in person, he was able to grasp onto something that gave him inspiration. 

Emma gave him inspiration. 

'It's just because I'm so clumsy that I'm scared I'll trip and fall, like my legs are already shaking.' Emma explained quickly, trying to steer the conversation away from her confession.

'I know, I've witnessed first hand your clumsiness-its how we met remember?' Theo chuckled. It seemed all he did was tease her, Emma concluded, embarrassed by the revival of her little accident. If it wasn't such a big deal- why does it keep haunting her?

'It's ok, I've got you even if you fall- we can tumble together' Theo said, making Emma's heart melt. Falling down the side of the hill, didn't seem like the most dangerous type of falling. If Theo kept this up, Emma wasn't sure how much longer she would last.

They finally made it to the top- the sun in the sky with the promise of a blue sky. The view Emma had seen countless times before, yet for some reason, without a doubt, this was the best time.

'Hey Theo?' Emma called out, Theo turned his head round to look at her- their hands still intertwining.

'Yeah?' 

'Do you feel like you're on top of the world right now?' She asked.

'Yeah.'