I've Had Just Enough Time

'Hello? Are you there?' Emma repeated when no response was heard on the other side. 

If Theo didn't reply soon she wasn't sure if she was going to be able to bring herself to tell him what happened.

Just as her nerves were escalating to new levels, his smooth, hopeful voice entered her ear.

'Sunshine? Is that you. Like actually you?' He asked in disbelief.

Theo had no idea if his performance would change anything. All he knew was that he hadn't been able to get Emma and her song out of his head ever since he finished it. He needed her to hear it. And now here she was- calling him

'Umm, T- something really bad happened. As if the universe couldn't throw us any more curveballs it gives us another.' The fear that laced Emma's attempt at a light tone was something that Theo had only heard a few times before. It instantly sent concern through his entire body-from his toes to his crown.

'Sunshine- what's going on? What's happening?' His words sounded so familiar. The syllables carrying the same energy of the night where it went wrong. And he was once again in a helpless situation.

'T- its Jay. One minute we were talking, and I took a photo of him and we were in the street- you know the one outside 'Sebastians' and then there was a car- and it just came out of nowhere- and it was so quiet- like it was a ghost and I just-'

Her panic was rising with every word. Theo needed to stop Emma from self-combusting before she could tell him what was going on with his grandfather.

'Sunshine- breathe, everything is going to be ok, what happened with Grandad?' Though trying to calm her, his anxiety couldn't be contained.

'He's in the hospital. Unconscious.' The bitter words were like bullets that she had to spit out. They hurt like bullets could too.

Silence crackled for a beat. And then the tsunami came. 

'He can't- he can't. That can't happen. It just- I won't believe it. Where are you? I'm coming.' Theo's rapid spiral ended with a dramatic hanging up, leaving Emma to only hope that he would be ok.

Texting him the address, she nervously waited for the doctor to give her an update. 

Hours past and she still had no further message from Theo. Reluctantly she resorted to the internet to see if anyone could track his progress. Fortunately, there were plenty of pictures for Emma to see. In each one Theo looked ashen and frustrated.

And Emma wasn't the only one to notice.

CELEB UPDATE

Saturday 19th October 2019 7:00PM

Following the new song performance dedicated to Emma Hardy (click here for more information on possibly the most romantic gesture ever), Emmett Granger was spotted at the airport at Gatwick this evening, looking somewhat concerning. No doubt it must be serious for the heartthrob to cancel his shows in Italy- where 'Catching Flames' were supposed to be playing tomorrow night. 

The singer couldn't even spare a second to acknowledge the dedicated fans that had gathered. Whatever was causing Granger to be so frantic we could only hope its nothing too dramatic.

Sighing at the blasé nature of the article, yet thankful that nothing about his grandfather's condition was known, Emma clicked off the article with little peace. 

Theo would be here soon. And then what? How could she help- what was he going to need. 

Get your shit together Emma. Theo needs you. Just forget about your history. Stop worrying about yourself. 

It was now 9PM, and Emma was still stationed in the cold, waiting room. Refusing to give into the sleep that was trying to consume her. 

As if answering her call- albeit hours later, Theo came rushing in, hair wet from the hard and short shower that was occurring in the late evening. The soaked strands hanging over his eyes, which were scanning the white, plastic rows of chairs. 

When his gaze met hers, Emma was frozen. She had been preparing for his arrival for hours. Yet this was not a situation you would ever be ready for. It never was going to be.

As Theo reached Emma and collapsed on the floor in front of her all of the fear and worry that he had been bottling were finally being released. Jay's accident and seeing Emma for the first time again were like a catalyst for everything that he had ever held back.

There was only so much one person could bear. So many emotions could only be contained for so long- too many and you'll overflow, too long and the pressure would soon result in an explosion.

It seemed that Theo was experiencing both. 

Instinctively, Emma kicked into action as soon as she had recovered from surprise. Her arms encapsulated his as she met his level. The insensitive artificial light was too cold for this moment. Yet neither could see this through their tear-filled eyes which were forcefully closed. 

So the two of them sat, stationary like statues, embracing each other in a bittersweet reunion.

Further hours past until the doctor finally came out to break the news.

'I assume you're John Granger's guardians. There's no easier way to tell you other than Mr Granger is in no state of mind to recover. The impact and shock was too much for his frail frame that it caused a stroke. It doesn't seem likely that he will be able to overcome it. I think you should prepare for the worst.' Her blunt words were like nails on a chalkboard to Theo.

Neither Emma nor Theo were ever going to be prepared. Though short, her time with Jay was warm and fond. To Theo, Jay was the last familial bond tied to him on this Earth. 

With no outward response the doctor continued- 'He's stable if you would like to see him. Room 203' And with those parting words, her looming figure walked back down the long hallway. 

'C'mon, Theo, let's see him.' Emma said shakily taking his hand and supporting him to his feet. Together they walked to Jay's room, only to be met with a frail, reclining man.

Every movement made was delicate and slow. It was quiet as Jay slowly opened his eyes, barely registering his environment. 

'Grandad.' Theo's weak voice broke. His chest was empty, unable to comprehend why he couldn't control his tears like before. 

The old man could only mumble, causing Theo to grip Emma's hand harder. 

He took in the scene further. The monitors that surrounded his Grandad's bed, the bag attached to the side with a little yellow liquid inside. The shaky hands that couldn't even clench together. 

Helpless. 

It was a loud and heavy feeling. A constant reminder that not one person of the trio could change their fate.