Is Your Bedroom Ceiling Bored?

Empty.

That's the word that best fit the feeling Emma was experiencing. She didn't feel free or regretful. She felt nothing. 

Char had visited her multiple times over the course of the three days it had been. Together they listened to the break-up anthem songs that Emma had never really related to until now.

Already knowing that Harry and Max and Theo would try to bombard her with messages she switched her phone completely off. She didn't want to deal with anyone- not on social media, not with Char or Noah. No-one. She had brought this upon herself.

It was midnight when the door creaked open. The light from the hallway dimly lighting the dark room. Emma barely opened her puffy eyes as Caleb walked further into her dorm. 

'Hey Em- I heard about what happened. Do you wanna talk?' 

His voice was gentle and careful. He didn't want to set off anything that would make Emma worse. It had confused him at first as to why she was so drawn back from the world- that was until an article leaked and Emma's relationship status was broadcasted- once again. 

Caleb had tried previously to get Angie to talk to Emma about it, knowing well that his strengths did not lie in consoling. But to his surprise, Angie was too busy feeling pleased about something to pay attention to their roommates depression. Leaving him with the job of trying to coax Emma back into normal functioning society.

She had missed lectures and refused to have any contact with either of them. Emma stayed in her bed, watching as the light faded and brightened through her closed curtains.

With no response, Caleb continued.

'Em- you need to eat something. Just ignore the internet.'

She grumbled into her pillow at the reminder. How did they find out? Maybe she should just face it head on and get it over with. She had to stop feeling sorry for herself.

Sensing a change in attitude, Caleb probed further-

'There's a new cafe that opened just down the street. Should we get some coffee- we could ask Angie?'

The suggestion of coffee did tempt Emma. It had been a while since she had indulged in the caffeinated beverage and all the baked goods that came with it. Her weak frame was feeling shakier and shakier with each passing moment.

As if on cue- her stomach grumbled for the first time in days. Before, it was a nauseous mess with Emma being too consumed by the memories of Theo to even think of food. But now, with Caleb came the reminder of a world where she was a functioning human being. 

Weakly she got out of her safe bed. Slowly chucking on a hoodie and some acceptable, yet comfy, jeans and finishing with her battered trainers and a black beanie, Emma was ready. 

Caleb took in the sight before him once more, a disheveled and fragile frame stood before him. Dark circles under eyes that studied the floor resembled nothing of the bubbly nature that he was greeted with when he first met Emma. Her shoulders, though always slouchy, were now hunched up and projecting a timidness that could rival a mouse. 

The surprise was evident on his face at how easy it had been to haul her ass out of this musty room. It contrasted heavily to all of the rom-coms that his older sister used to make him watch. So, as he took in her, Caleb felt admiration course through. His friend was holding herself high inside, despite how hard it was for her. 

'You ready? Ok, let's grab Ange' his tone still as gentle as possible- scared to disrupt the flow of courage that they were currently riding.

To their surprise, Angie refused their offer of coffee- instead preferring to shoot Emma a smug smile. As if she knew something that Emma didn't- it made her uneasy.

Eager to not let the set-back stop the progress, Caleb all but pushed Emma out of the dorm and into reception. Where he was once met with another obstacle.

About three cameras were stationed outside- all waiting for a glimpse of Emma he assumed. 

He just couldn't catch a break could he? 

This was the last time he tried to do something nice. It was exhausting. 

Sighing to himself, he continued on with his quest. Tugging Emma's beanie down so it practically blinds her and strategically positioning themselves to minimise all angles, Caleb quickly walked out of the building. Faking confidence and trying to hide the fact that he had no clue how to deal with this. 

Once they made it past the photographers, walking fast enough so they couldn't recognise Emma. Caleb heaved a sigh of relief and walked into the cafe. 

He chose a seat far in the corner, leaving Emma their whilst he got their coffee. 

She, herself hadn't muttered a word since they left. She was taking in her surroundings, assessing how it felt. Caleb's actions- though endearing were making her feel guilty for being such a burden, so when he came back, Emma resolved to be better company.

'Thanks for this Caleb. Who knows how long I would have rotted away.' Her voice was weak, owing to the lack of usage, but somehow she managed to convey a faux sense of lightness through the raspy croaks. 

'It's all good. I mean, I kinda understand it a bit. Like your relationship must have been intense. That was my first time trying to dodge the cameras but I couldn't imagine trying to maintain something healthy and easy with a lens tracking your every move.' He shuddered at the thought, yet Emma noted no notes of pity in his eyes. Only relief. 

She chuckled to herself. Yes, when you put it that way nothing was ever really easy was it. 

Taking a sip of coffee and wanting to not think about Theo, Emma started asking about Caleb and how he was finding uni and if he missed his family. 

Caleb was one of those characters where conversation flowed easily-regardless of the situation. And at that moment, Emma had never been more grateful for a slice of normalcy. It was refreshing to listen to someone's story which wasn't tainted by scrutiny. 

It was easy.

However, the inevitable happened. The once talkative Caleb was now letting his curiosity creep into the conversation.

'I know you turned your phone off- but don't you even want to know what people are talking about?' At this Emma only sighed, thinking about how she used to justify her internet stalking for that exact reason. How stupid she was. 

 'I mean- I was reading one article and it was creepy how much they knew. Like it was published hours after you started your hibernation and like it talked about stuff like his hoodie that you lost-' Caleb continued- making Emma pause.

'Wait what? You mean they knew about that?' Only people she talked to regularly knew about Theo's hoodie.

'Yeah- it was like borderline stalking. It even quoted something that you said when you were drunk that one time- it was like how you said you 'loved Noah' and it went on to say that you broke up because of it. Or some other bullshit like that.' Caleb stated, bringing out his phone to show the clueless Emma.

'What the hell? How did they find this out- the only people who knew about that were you and-' Emma stopped. An epiphany finally struck her. God- how could she be any more naive?

'What? What's going on?' Caleb questioned.

'Aghh, why does it never stop. I just want to be done with this. I'm getting a brownie- do you want anything?' Emma asked agitatedly, jerkily getting up out of her seat and looking like she was going to shoot lasers out of her eyes. 

Caleb could only pray for the poor cashier.

A/N: I'M BACK!!! also-

THANK YOU FOR 1K READS!!!!!

I really appreciate it and it makes me want to write more- so I hope you enjoy.

Sending all the love 

xxx