'Til You Made It Seem So Easy

As Theo entered the operating theatre a couple of days later, Emma thought that she would feel some sort of anxiety like she had been experiencing for the last few months but her body was completely unfazed.

Her skin had metaphorically grown noticeably thicker. Her panicked mind had become more rational. Yet she could still see the thrill of the little things and enjoy the new adventures. 

Clasping her hands together, she found herself back on the white, plastic chairs of the waiting room, except this time none of the previous emotions were present. It couldn't be called tranquility as there was still so much uncertainty in the air but she felt herself accepting reality instead of fearing it. There was nothing that she could do now, everything had been done. 

Her hope had overpowered her fears. Theo, she realised, had still managed to calm her and show how everything would be ok. He still managed to comfort her, despite all that he himself was fearing. Underneath all of Theo's chillness, below his darkness, he really did have one of the purest hearts that Emma had ever met.

Despite all the pain and heartache that she had to go through, Emma knew that she wouldn't change anything about her life. She valued every powerful emotion that she had to feel, as each time it taught her something. Each time it made her understand and connect more with herself and the world. She had learnt from the mistakes and experiences. 

Man, she glad to have fallen amidst the stationary on that Saturday afternoon. Grateful that some power in the universe had placed the cute boy in front of her to witness the whole scene. Pleased that the cute boy had asked her out, taken her on adventures that were simple yet new. 

Now she was hoping that the cute boy would emerge from the doors in front of her tumour-free and healthy. 

Hope.

What a powerful feeling. Some say that even the weakest can overcome the strongest of obstacles with it. 

Emma was praying that now was one of those times.

When the doors finally opened and the surgeon stepped in front of her, Emma's stress levels finally kicked in with the realisation that this was the moment of truth. The surge of panic took over her body as the doctor began to talk.

Just for a moment. 

The second the word 'success' left his lips, she almost jumped, squealed and tackled the surgeon with a hug. Taking a second to compose herself and refrain from squeezing the life out of the surgeon, Emma profusely thanked him, before asking when she could see Theo.

'He only had topical anaesthetic so once he has been cleared after a couple of hours in the recovery room you should be able to see him. Is there anything else?' 

With a shake of her head and a final thanks the kind surgeon left. The bright, white waiting room, though still physically remaining the same, changed completely in her eyes. The trance like state that Emma had entered when Theo went in had vanished into a feeling of pure elation. 

They had finally overcome the last hurdle. 

She made her way around the maze of a hospital, going slowly around every corner in case she bumped into someone like her normal clumsy self. It was harder to than other times however, as now her excitement was barely containable. Emma was practically buzzing like a bee. Bouncing off every wall like some hyped up fitness instructor.

Finally reaching Theo's room, she carefully opened the door and poked her head round thinking that he may be sleeping. His hair was frazzled, his eyes swollen and the space between his mouth and his nose looked bruised but Emma could only think about how adorable he looked. 

Maybe love really is blind.

Emma only contemplated this choice of phrase for just a brief second before she reached a conclusion. It was applicable to her and Theo. She was never going to be able to just be friends with this boy. Even the thought of Theo with another girl made her heart ache. 

Opening the door wider, Emma stepped fully into the private room so she could take in the sight before her more thoroughly.

He really did make it. Things really were going to be ok.

One bleary eye started to open, soon followed by the other so that her blue ones met his grey. Theo couldn't tell if he was imagining Emma or if she really was there witnessing his half-conscious state. 

'It's alive!' She whispered-shout to him in an attempt to break the awkwardness with her own naturally awkward personality. The logic didn't make sense but in practice it was effective. The poor Frankenstein reference made him smile and grasp reality.  Pain erupted around his temples as an enormous headache began encapsulating his skull. It was like his skin was being stretched around his bones, the pressure building with no release.

'Ahh' Theo gasped, bringing his hands weakly up to his head to try and massage away the pain. 

Noticing the response, Emma hurried over to Theo's side. Her joking manner replaced by a concerned demeanour as she handed him the bottle of water that she had been storing in her bag.

'Are you ok? The doctor did say that headaches were normal. Are they really bad? Maybe I can ask a nurse or something....' She immediately launched into ways to fix things-the cogs turning in her brain at a thousand miles an hour in search of a solution, but like always Theo was there to calm her down.

'Sunshine, I think I'm ok. Just some pain- like expected. Don't worry.  It's all good. Tell me about uni- distract me. Please.' Theo rasped slowly, having to pause every couple of words to catch his breath and wait for a spike of pain to pass. Yet, he still managed to weakly smile, causing Emma to smile back instinctively. 

She positioned herself in the chair next to him, and at lower volumes proceeded to do what she did best- ramble about everything under the sun. Every now and then Theo would pipe in with a mocking comment, and more than once did she have to refrain from hitting the invalid, but she was just glad that Theo found the energy to initiate some banter. 

Once again, the pair found themselves in a frozen moment. It seemed that their relationship could be plotted around them. A perfect second of time where it was like the world stood still. 

The pair spent the time sitting together, like an old married couple would- except their relationship was still undefined. Theo had finally fallen back to sleep, after being assured by Emma that everything had been handled and everyone was doing ok. So now, Emma was left to her thoughts, staring blankly at the screen of uni work that she was supposed to complete with silence surrounding her. 

Theo was going home in two days she calculated, and once they both had adjusted and were ready for it- they were going to have to discuss it. As of this moment, however, Emma was exhausted. The recent events had been relentless and they were taking their toll. 

But it was over for now.  She could enjoy this little bubble of warmth and tranquility with a somewhat astuteness and bliss.