People You Know

'Just be cool ok?' Emma said as she paced the living room floor, much to her best friend's and her brother's amusement. Their small living room had already been decked out with all the essential gear for a pizza night- duvets brought downstairs, an obscene amount of pillows, Netflix loaded on the TV and pizza ordered. 

'Chill, sis, I'm the coolest person you know' Art stated, earning himself an elbow jab from Char as she was took her spot on the sofa curled under a blanket.

'Just, don't be yourself and everything will be fine.' Char replied, taking the opportunity to insult the oldest Hardy sibling whilst the doorbell rang.

'I'm already regretting this,' Emma mumbled as she went out of the room to let Theo in. 

'Hey Sunshine.' Theo greeted, sending Emma's already anxious heartbeat into a frenzy, but she ignored it as she went in for a hug, snuggling into his shoulder. She loved how despite herself being tall, Theo was taller. 

'Hey T. Are you ready?' She said, her voice slightly muffled owing to the fact that she was still in his embrace.

'I am if you ever let me through the door.' Theo chuckled, yet made no move to remove himself.

'Right, sorry- can you tell I'm nervous?' Emma asked, shaking her hands out.

'Yes, but I find it adorable.' 

'Who let the mushy couple in?' Art hollered, his presence instantly breaking apart Theo and Emma. 

'Umm, you guys have met before- but Theo this is my older brother, Arthur. Art, this is my boyfriend, Theo.' Emma introduced, watching as the two guys shook hands, both attempting to appear masculine. Emma could feel the testosterone in waves. 

'Could we cool it with the intimidation stare' Emma muttered to Art, slightly annoyed and confused by his complete change in attitude. 

'Hi, I'm Arthur, Ems' older brother. So what exactly are your intentions with my sweet, innocent, little sister.' Art asked, his eyes narrowing. 

What the hell is happening? Emma thought.

'Art, would you stop it please. You literally just spouted the most clichéd nonsense I have ever heard.' Emma said exasperatedly. 

'Why don't you go to the living room while I have a chat with the popstar for a bit.' Arthur ordered, practically pushing Emma out of the room. 

'But why, Art what, seriously, would you stop pushing. Art!' Emma complained thumping on Art's chest until he shut the door in her face. Emma's bangs on the door could be heard but Arthur ignored them.

Emma kept one ear on the door so that she could hear what was going on. She never expected Art to behave like this. It wasn't that he never cared for her, they were close, but they always kept to their own business. Or maybe it was just Emma minding her own business. 

'So, Theo, buddy, old pal, just want to be clear. That if I see Emma cry like she did when she came back from her escapade in London, you're going to be the one crying. Just protect her ok. She's barely seen the world and the world has barely seen her. I don't want her to think that she's not good enough for it because people say she isn't. You and I know damn well that she is, and that she deserves the world. So just, make her see the goodness in her that we see and we'll be good.' 

Emma could only imagine how Theo may have reacted. She pictured her 6ft 7 rugby bear of a brother staring Theo right in the eyes. If they got into a fight, however, she wasn't sure which one would win as Emma was pretty sure that Theo could hold his own. Despite her anxiety about the two meeting, Art's words did warm her heart a bit, as well as surprise her. Did he hear all of what she said to Char? Oh God, that's even more embarrassing- especially since she was pretty sure Theo didn't know the extent of how insecure she is.

'I promise you that I'm going to do everything in my power.' Theo solemnly vowed.

From then on Emma tuned out, realising her heart couldn't take much more of it. It was worth all of the comments and speculation to be in Theo's life. Emma couldn't imagine it any other way anymore.

'Yo guys, are we ready for a movie night or what?' Char called from the sofa, resulting in the two boys to come out of the hallway into the living room. From the easy grins and mock-wrestling, Theo and Art looked as if they had been friends since childhood, definitely not the same two people who Emma had eavesdropped on minutes earlier. She soon got over her confusion with the consolation that any awkwardness could be spared, and curled up on the sofa, ready for the movie.

'Char, you agree with me right. Spiderman is the best super hero right?' Emma asked, giving Theo a pointed look as she remembered their previous debate.

'Duh, have you seen Tom Holland?' Char responded as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. 

'I don't get your fascination with him, honestly. I'm team Superman all the way.' Art chimed in as the opening scene started.

'Yes! Someone on my team!' Theo said as he reached over from his spot next to Emma to give Arthur a high five. Fast buddies indeed. 

'You guys just obviously don't recognise true talent.' Char sniffed, opening up an argument for her and Arthur to bicker over- ignoring the movie entirely.

Theo leaned into Emma to whisper in her ear,

'Are they usually like this? I mean, I'm guessing you never actually watch the film.'

Emma giggled and replied, 'No, usually we just bicker until the pizza gets here and then eat until we pass out.'

'Hmm, sounds like a plan. From the way those two are going at it, you think you could be spared from the battle of wits just this once?' Theo observed, noting how both Char and Art seemed to be completely engrossed with each other, barely paying attention to anything else.

'I guess I could. But don't think I'll give up pizza for you, if that ever happened, start thinking I've been abducted by aliens.' 

'Will do. You know, I actually think they would make quite a cute couple.' Theo proposed. The idea of Char and Art together had never crossed Emma's mind, but looking at the two together, she could see how Theo came up with that conclusion.

'I don't know. I guess it depends what life has in store for them. I hear the doorbell...pizza time?!' 

As Theo watched Emma get up from the sofa to retrieve the pizza, he swore to himself again that he would protect this girl, no matter where life would take them.

'What are you looking at?' Emma asked, noticing the deep look that Theo was shooting her.

'It's nothing, it's all good. You know, despite not actually watching the movie, this is a great movie night. Can I come again?' Theo earnestly inquired. The homely feeling was once which he wasn't used to as he had spent many nights on his own in London. He doubted if he would ever be able to spend an evening watching a film better than this. 

'Of course, it's expected now.' Emma stated seriously.

'You sure know how to make a guy feel comfortable.' Said Theo as Emma fished a box of pizza for them and nested herself beside Theo.

'Hey Emma, do you want to maybe meet my grandad?' Theo asked after a few minutes of watching Char and Art argue over which topping of pizza is superior. It really was more entertaining than the film.

The gravity of the question was not lost on Emma. Theo's grandad was the only blood relative that Theo was close to. To meet him was a big step, a big honour. It was for this reason that with no hesitation or resistance Emma replied, looking straight into Theo's anxious eyes,

'Of course I would.'

'Yo guys, stop canoodling and pay attention to the film.' To this Arthur was met by a flying pillow in the face.