The Book of You and I

Dedicated to @jmh2401 thanks for voting on every chapter!

The couple spent the rest of the rainy afternoon curled up together in the living room. Steaming cups of tea replenished repeatedly as Emma and Theo sat and talked. They talked about everything from their favourite movies to what animal they thought they shared a likeness too. It reminded Emma of the limbo car journey they had where they pretended everything was ok, when in actuality it really wasn't. 

But now it was. Emma was laughing whole-heartedly, while Theo admired the way her eyes crinkled in the corners. When Emma's feet got cold Theo fetched some fuzzy socks. Where it was then discovered Theo's obsession with Superman,

'You have to admit that he is the coolest superhero. Like he was actually different, not just rich or clever like Iron Man or Batman.' 

'Yes, I agree, but Spiderman is by far the better superhero. He's normal like us, but he used his brain to invent some of the most amazing gadgets that enabled him to save the day, and like he was only human but was still brave enough to fight off villains and stuff. Plus, Tom Holland.' Emma argued.

'What about Tom Holland?' Theo inquired with raised eyebrows and accusing eyes.

'He's just very nice to look at, and is adorable.' Emma commented whilst blushing and avoiding eye contact.

At this remark, Theo lifted up his shirt to display his impressive abdomen whilst at the same time, giving Emma a look that instantly made her heart flutter.

'What was that?' Theo questioned innocently as he moved closer and closer to Emma. Emma was getting redder by the second.

'That you are the hottest guy I know. Ok?' Emma hastily corrected. She couldn't tell if she was embarrassed or happy at the opportunity to look at Theo's impressive body. 

'Is it dinner time?' Emma carried on, hoping to change the subject.

Theo chuckled at Emma's horrible attempt, but reluctantly drew back and got up from the sofa, offering his hand to Emma. 

'I think we have cereal, what do you think?' Theo asked.

'If you have coco pops then I'm in.' Emma replied, seizing Theo's hand before running in the direction of the kitchen. 

In the few hours which she'd been at Theo's house, Emma was beginning to get used to the sleek, modern feel of the place- despite it being so different from her homey, warm home in Dorset.

The table was set and the cereal was poured.

'What do you say to a nighttime tour of London?' Theo suggested as he played footsie under the table.

'I'd ask where you come up with all your ideas for adventures. I would never think of something like that.' Emma replied, already excited for the next adventure to begin.

'I think it would be pretty quiet, and the rain has dried up so it should be a clear night.' Theo continued.

'No time like the present, let's do it.' Emma proclaimed, finishing the last of her milky, chocolate dinner and jumping out of her seat, pulling on her shoes.

'Slow down, you're going to fall over or run into something.' Theo warned with a smile as he recalled all of Emma's clumsy moments. How did he ever think that he could leave her. She was his ball of sunshine. 

15 minutes into the walk and Emma was already pestering Theo about where they were going. Emma had no idea where in London they were currently, nor did she have any clue about the places that Theo was planning. Every time she asked, he would simply wink at her and say,

'You'll see.'

At last, much to Emma's impatience, they arrived at the first destination- Buckingham Palace.

'Ta da!' Theo exclaimed as they walked through an empty Green Park to the grand building.

'I remember you saying how you've never been to London, and that you would like to visit all the tourist spots.' Theo explained.

'I can't believe you remember that.' Emma whispered in disbelief.

'I remember everything.' Theo replied, matching his volume to Emma. There was something about the way that it was empty and calm, that made the moment more intimate. Like they could pretend that they were the only people in the world, that time was standing still. Neither of them wanted to disrupt the spell of tranquility. 

'It's magnificent,' Emma remarked as she gazed at the impressive architecture.

'Yep' Theo replied staring at Emma.

'Smooth Casanova- you really went there. I thought you were supposed to be original?' Emma said, not taking her eyes of the palace in front of her.

'I can't get anything past you can I.' 

'I like to think I've got superpowers.'

'And we're back to the superheroes.'

'Should we take a picture?' Emma suggested.

'Sounds good, here let me hold it, I have longer arms than you.' Theo stated, taking Emma's phone from her hands and aiming the camera at the pair of them with the building in the background.

'Say cheese!'

'Cheddar!'

'And we have officially recorded our first date together. Imagine how cool it will be to look back and see ourselves- I find it fascinating.' Theo said once the photo was taken. 

'You're such a nerd! C'mon, what's the next stop?' Emma teased, taking Theo's hand in hers and swinging them. 

'How do you want to see the London eye?' 

And the tour was underway. London seemed to take on a totally different atmosphere to when Emma was lost earlier. She no longer felt the constant bustle. She no longer had to worry about anything- not when her hand was interlaced with Theo's, guiding her to their next destination.

The couple visited the Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and Westminster Bridge, taking pictures at each location to act as a sort of time capsule. It was after the had walked to the Houses of Parliament that Emma decided she was tired and hopped on Theo's back as they began walking home. It was well past 4AM when they arrived and both were completely shattered. 

Before entering the house, Emma paused. Earlier in the day she had been full of worry as she poured her heart to Theo, standing in this exact spot. Now, she confidently tugged on his hand, causing him to look back at her.

Just like before, Emma looped her hands around Theo's neck, drawing him so close their foreheads touched.

'What are you doing?' Theo questioned

'I'm savouring the moment. I have to go home tomorrow night- I've got work. I really should've worked today but Char covered my shift. I just wanted to say thank you for an amazing night.' 

'Thanks for giving me a chance.' 

Mustering up all the courage she had, Emma pulled Theo in for a kiss. Unlike her previous peck, Emma could feel the intensity. They didn't even need words to communicate. It felt like fireworks were surrounding them- exactly as the movies had depicted it to be.

At last they pulled away, both breathless as they tried to comprehend and process what just happened.

'Wow'

It was good and pure. Emma wished that she could capture this moment and live in it forever. 

A/N: This song kinda inspired this entire story. The idea of something so exciting like a story. That love was worthy of being immortalised. That it is something that changes your life but can so easily be destroyed, like burning the book- or like me writing this. 

This song talk about the mundane things that are better with someone else, that you can do it alone but sometimes it better with someone. 

I think that it's something so beautiful that no one will ever be able to write an accurate book about it, but the love of writing or reading is what makes it pure.