i'm so tired...

That night Emma went to bed happy, full and loved. As she closed her eyes, she wondered- how long until it falls apart again.

It wasn't long.

The next morning she ventured onto her phone for the first time in a while to check her twitter, and there in all its glory she saw Theo's tweet.

@EmmettGranger

I'm missing my Sunshine.

The comments were already flooding in, some questioning the meaning, some annoyed at Emma, but in the masses of comments, Emma found one that peaked her interest. 

@Emmett4eva2002

Guys- Emmett's girlfriend really is cheating on him- I have pictures to prove it 

Below was a thread of images of Emma and Noah at the rollerskating rink. The shock that currently circulated her body as she scrolled through was touching every nerve. Someone was following them. She really had no privacy what so ever. It was gone and she hadn't even realised. 

It was there that her heart stopped, a picture of her on top of Noah was displayed. They were smiling- it happened yesterday and thinking about it last night brought her laughter- now it only evoked worry.

It seemed like they were going round in circles- her and Theo. One second they would be happy and then something would happen- usually the media scrutiny and speculations and their relationship would be in turmoil again. Emma could feel the exhaustion- it gradually accumulating until she broke.

Now might be the time that the cracks became a hole. 

As she stared harder at the images- her memories were being tarnished. Emma criticised herself- her double chin, the muffin top but worse of all the naivety showcased on her face. Photo-Emma had no idea the shit-storm she was creating at that moment. Photo-Emma had no clue the headache and anxiety she was creating for future Emma. Photo-Emma thought she had a moment of normalcy- future Emma now knew better. The tears were starting to pour down her face, hating the pictures more and more. 

The thread of photos was picking up more attention- comments attacking Emma became more frequent- accusing her of corrupting both Emmett and Noah. Her pride and dignity was crumbling with each second. The internet was forever. 

Char and Art were both texting her,

Are you ok hun? I swear I'm going to kill every single one of those stupid girls. Call me if you need anything. Xxx- C

WHY IS THE INTERNET STUPID.  Don't listen to what any of them say- they're all idiots who obviously know nothing. Mum and Dad are oblivious to it but I can tell them if you want me to. xxx- A

Their words brought comfort to Emma, but they weren't who she wanted to hear them from. In between quiet tears, Emma pressed the call button. 

It rang once. 

It rang twice. 

Emma duvet was getting soaked in salty tears. Her safety cover was suffocatingly getting heavy.

'Hello?' 

His voice rang through the speaker. The robotic twang distorting it slightly- but was it enough?

'Hey T. You been online recently?' She asked, in a joking manner only let down by a voice crack at the end. 

'Sunshine? What's going on? I just got out of the shower to see my phone with angry texts from Harry and Max and our manager screaming at me.' 

The obliviousness and shock in Theo's voice was something that Emma should have been used to by now. Yet, it seemed that there was such a thing as a cut that always bleeds. Taking in a deep breath, Emma knew what she had to do.

'T- I'm so tired. I'm tired of you being away, I'm tired of people ruining my name. I'm tired of not having privacy- of doing the wrong thing. I'm tired of dealing with it all on my own. I can't do it anymore.' 

The alarm that was in Theo's voice was present instantly-

'Sunshine- what are you saying? What's going on?' Emma had to hold the phone away from her to stop herself from sobbing into the mic. Trying to keep herself composed, Emma brought her knees up- hugging them tightly.

'T- think about it. We're never going to be at ease. We have extreme highs and then extreme lows- except it feels like I'm the only one on the swings. You're on the roundabout getting dizzy as the world passes you by. It's so blurry that you can't see what's happening around you and can do nothing to stop it. It's not fair on either of us.' She whispered, heavily gasping as she tried to breathe. 

'No. No. No. Sunshine, don't please. You said you wouldn't. Please don't- I, I need you.' The desperation in Theo voice almost made Emma back-out. 

But then memories of the times where she cried alone. Where happiness would only last for a blink of an eye. She didn't want that- she couldn't have that. 

'T, I think-'

'No- this isn't happening. Sunshine, please.'

She gulped.

'Let's break-up.' 

'Take it back. Pretend you didn't say that. Sunshine.' Theo broke off, unable to do anything. He had never felt more hopeless. All he could do was plead on the phone, unable to see Emma's face or hug her one last time.

'I'm sorry that I wasn't strong enough T.' 

She had to hang up- if the call continued Emma would inevitably change her mind. She couldn't run to him. It's better this way. 

At least that's what she hoped as she stared out the window- her vision blurry from the tears and her heart breaking. Paralysed by agony and fear.

Theo stared at his call history. Memorising the numbers. Call time. Call duration. Caller ID.

He needed to sit down. 

Nausea built up in his stomach.  Creeping up to his throat. His knees were buckling. 

Theo could feel the darkness. It's heavy, velvety thickness creating knots in his stomach, grasping his heart and infecting his brain. 

He was too dark for sunshine to exist.

Beads of sweat started to arise on his brow. 

No one was around. He went off alone to answer Sunshine- no- Emma's call.

Weakly he staggered out of the room. Collapsing on the nearest chair. 

When you love someone but it goes to waste...could it be worse?

Theo's eyes started to sting.

He sat there, alone. Minutes passed and Theo could feel the nausea start to leave his body. Settling only in his stomach. His muscles began to relax as he calmed, and his heart was no longer shielded by confusion.

He was alone.

The lump in his throat had yet to subside. It wasn't going to.

A/N: Just a heads up- I'm going away with my fam for a week so I won't be able to update- but have no fear updates will be returning when I come back!

Did anyone spot the references I added in?

As always, thanks for reading!

xxx