Summer on You

'When me and Arthur were younger, our parents used to take us to the beach during the summer. Arthur would always try to drown me in the waves. My mum would spend at least 20 minutes just trying to adjust to the temperature before she could fully submerge into the water.' Emma reminisced to Theo, as they were walking into the sea. She had slowed down from her fast pace so that Theo could catch up, not wanting to brave the cold sea alone. Theo smiled as he thought of a little Emma being dragged about by her older brother. A happy family.

The last thing that Emma registered was Theo's mischievous smile.

Out of nowhere, Theo grabbed Emma's hand and started sprinting towards the water, pulling along a startled Emma, who was tripping over her feet at the sudden change of pace.

'Theo! What are you doing! It's going to be so cold, we have to go in slowly!' Emma exclaimed at the top of her voice, hoping to persuade Theo to rethink his actions.

'No! This is the best way. You have to get it over and done with and then it's fine" Theo reassured, shouting back as he tried to hold in the laughter at Emma's expression long enough so that he could talk.

As Emma braced herself for the cold, Theo took advantage of her eyes being shut, giving her hand a tug so that she dived straight into the water with him.

Instantly, Emma shot up to the surface in surprise, the brain-freeze immediately being felt at her temples. All of her body went frigid as it attempted to adjust to the freezing water. It may be summer, but the seas of England would always be temperatures closer to winter. Emma could only imagine how cold the coast would be in December.

'Theo! Was that completely necessary?' Emma questioned out of annoyance.

'Come on Em, how could I pass up the opportunity? You should have seen your face,' Theo cackled. At this, Emma chucked water on Theo, putting an end to his laughter with a mouthful of saltwater.

'Do you know how many people pee in the sea? And how foul that tastes?' Theo complained, spitting the water out immediately.

'How could I pass up on the opportunity? Consider it payback,' Emma countered with a smirk, mocking the words he uttered moments before.

'Game on.' Theo proclaimed. Before Emma could process what that meant, Theo dived under the water. In a matter of seconds, Emma found herself submerged in the water, once again.

Again, after Emma had resurfaced, she sputtered out,

'What the hell was that for?!' Despite her outward annoyance however, Emma found herself having fun as she launched herself onto Theo who had also just come back from being underwater. They both went under, as a mammoth wave that's crashing increased the tumbling of the two.

Now completely exhausted and drenched from head to toe, Emma managed to scramble back to shore. She instantly felt the coldness of the breeze and nearly tripped at the different density of the sand. The non-existent waves still rocking her.

Two cold, wet hands hugged her bare stomach and Emma was hauled up in the air. She squealed at the surprise, quickly recognising Theo from his height and chuckle that resounded by her ear.

'Theo let me down!' Emma protested.

'Not a chance, Clumsy, we both know that in your current state you'll end up twisting your ankle trying to make your way back up the dunes.' Theo responded. Emma's heart warmed at Theo's consideration, albeit a bit insulting.

'I'm not that clumsy.' Emma muttered, she was perfectly capable of walking, she wasn't a complete disaster.

Maybe just a little one.