five

Harper.

I woke up much more comfortable than what I remembered falling asleep like.

I opened my eyes- seeing a completely different room, making me instantly sit up.

"You're good." A dude sitting at a desk spoke, making me look to him.

"Where am I?" I asked quickly.

"Michaels office, he knew the floor probably wasn't comfortable, so he brought you here." He spoke swiftly, making me slowly nod.

"How long until my mom goes into surgery?" I asked him, seeing him look to the clock on the wall

"About fifteen minutes"

I hopped up quick.

He stood with me, thankfully guiding me to my moms room, where I walked in, seeing Michael holding my crying mom into his chest, instantly making me protective.

"The fuck did you do to her?" I spoke, trying it to yell, but I wanted to yell.

"Harper, relax-" "my moms crying, why the fuck is she crying?" I shot to him, feeling Luke gently grabbing my arm.

"Harper, your mom has medicine in her system that's making her tired and emotional, it's nothing I did to her, it's just the medicine" Michael explained slowly.

"She still isn't just going to cry for no reason" I spoke simply.

"She misses your dad." Michael spoke simply, making me look to my mom, who had herself buried into Michael's shoulder.

Michael.

I saw emotion fly all over Harper's face as I told her that her mom missed her dad, which is the reason her mom broke down crying.

Harper clearly didn't know what to do, so I continued to hold her mom.

"Mom" Harper spoke, making Jennifer look to her.

"Fuck him" she spoke simply, and I immediately heard her mom crying harder, making me almost close my eyes from frustration.

We had to be in the OR in ten minutes, I hadn't even scrubbed in, this was not going to plan.

"I don't know how to comfort people!" I heard Harper say as Luke whispered to her lightly.

"Come here" I spoke to Harper.

I watched her walk to me, where I slowly started letting go of Jennifer.

"Sit here." I spoke to Harper, making her sit, where her mom immediately leaned on her, Harper putting an arm around her instinctively.

"Your mom will fall asleep in minutes and then my interns will take her to join me in the OR, okay?" I asked, seeing almost panic fly through her face for a second.

"I- uh- okay." She stuttered, which confused me, but I had no time to question.

Harper.

I had so many questions I needed to ask before the surgery that I didn't get to ask because none of this went according to the plan.

So I was worried and a little panicked, but I tried to relax myself.

Minutes later I felt my moms body relax, making me slowly get up as the interns came in.

"She should be out in an hour and a half" one spoke, making me nod as they left with her.

I felt Luke's hands gently touch my shoulders as they turned the corner.

"What if she dies?"