twelve

"Michael, I need you to let me go home with her." Jennifer spoke sternly to me as Harper booked plane tickets to fly home and identify what all was stolen to the police along with out any non stolen valuable items into storage.

"After your first round of chemo, your immune system is already breeched" I spoke, looking to her IV, which was currently delivering chemotherapy to her.

"You expect me to send my baby to my house- that was just broken into- alone?" She questioned me just as Luke entered.

"Nope" I spoke with a smile.

"She can choose from my roommates."

"Why do I need a babysitter?" Harper shot to us.

"You're seventeen-" "I'll be eighteen in almost a week." She spoke sternly.

"Our house is a crime scene, Harper- you're not going alone." Her mom spoke sternly.

"So what roommate do you choose?" I asked, noticing Harpers argument had faded.

"Luke" she spoke without hesitation, making Luke smile widely

"I'm the favorite" he bragged, making her smile lightly.

The next day, we all met at the hospital

Luke and Harper were packed and prepared to fly to Harper's home, identify what all was missing, spend two nights at a hotel and catch a flight home on the third day.

"Are you sure you're comfortable with Luke?" I heard Jennifer ask Harper for the fourth time.

"I'd rather go alone, but Luke will be a fine babysitter." Harper smiled, glancing to the four of us.

"Okay, be safe- FaceTime me when you get into the house." She smiled as Harper hugged her mom.

"Will do, you kick cancers ass while I'm gone" Harper smiled

This was the first real and happy moment that I had seen between Harper and Jennifer.

"I love you Harper, Luke- keep my baby save!" She smiled as Harper stood beside Luke, the two of them grabbing their small bags.

"Will do, you have nothing to worry about."