thirty

Ashton.

By the time I got back to her room, Luke was completely in bed with her, holding her body as she tried to fight her sleep, Michael standing over her, reading her chart- clearly wanting to read that his intern did as said- but not succeeding.

"Where the hell is he?" Michael asked, his voice oddly calm, but his diction was very negative.

"In the interns lounge with a nurse-" just as I finished speaking, he ran through the door.

"Doctor Clifford, I am so so sorry- I thought with three relaxers in her system, she wouldn't wake up," he panicked.

"Look at her." Michael spoke sternly as Calum also entered the room.

I watched him look to Harper, Harper's blinks progressively slowing.

"What do you see?" Michael asked.

"A teenage patient, in recovery for a transplant of bone marrow. Received morphine about ten minutes ago, vitals stable and patient is calm." He told Michael her work up.

"Look closer, what do you see?"

No one knew what Michael was asking him.

The intern studied Harper, who was holding Luke, playing with his shirt to keep herself awake.

"She's tired, sir" he pointed out an obvious fact.

"See these red dots under her eyes?" Michael asked.

The intern nodded.

"Those are blood blisters from rubbing her eyes while she was crying in pain, because the doctor that I put in charge of giving her medicine to keep her out of pain was too busy pleasing himself." Michael tried not to speak aggressively due to Harper, but it was still quite aggressive.

"Sir, I apologize- it will not happen again-" "no, it will not." Michael confirmed.

"The Chief is requesting to see you in his office-" "you told the chief?" The interns eyes almost bulged out of his head.

"You expected me not to?" Michael whispered due to Harper finally closing her eyes, giving into the medicine.

"It was a simple mistake- she was on three relaxers!" He yelled, instantly waking her back up, making Michael shove him out of her room, straight into the wall outside her door.

"A simple mistake does not result in my patient sobbing from pain for fifteen minutes. A simple mistake does not cause my critical recovery patient who just received an epidural and had surgeons in her spine, walking down the hall ten minutes after the medicine wears away. This is not a simple mistake, this isn't you dropping a needle or forgetting to throw your gloves away- this was serious. Now get the fuck out of my face."