twenty-nine

"Please make it stop" she sobbed out to me, squeezing my scrubs into her hands, almost begging me for any sort of relief.

"Give the medicine five minutes to kick in, sweet girl" I tried to calm her down.

I stroked her hair, I kissed her hands, I squeezed her hands, I made her squeeze my hands and talk to me.

Anything to get her mind off of the excruciating pain that I knew she was in.

"Ashton, I can't take it- please put me to sleep, put me to sleep." She cried louder, but I didn't have the authority to take charge.

Her vitals were stable, I couldn't do anything without Michael's permission.

"Take deep breaths, the medicine should be in your system in seconds." I told her quietly, rubbing her shoulders gently as she held me as tightly as her hands would let her.

Just as I got her to stop sobbing and actually breathe, Luke ran in- clearly just ran out of the OR, still fully scrubbed and in his- thankfully clean- surgery scrubs and gloves.

"I got the page and came immediately, I was called into emergent surgery but I made Doctor Brown take over." He spoke.

"Who the fuck was supposed to give her, her pain medicines because I was greeted to her using the wall to walk down the hall and sobbing, when I brought her in here her chart said she had absolutely no pain medicine in her system." I spat to him.

"Michael put Dylan, his favorite intern in charge of distribution. I even paged him and reminded him to do it, he really didn't come?" Luke instantly got angry.

"I'll go find him, come comfort her, I just gave her a dose of morphine, it's starting to kick in." I told him, glancing to her now calm face as she watched Luke and I speak

As soon as he took my spot, I went running for this intern.

I checked the library, the pit, the ER, the nurses station and then it hit me.

The interns lounge.

I swung the door open, immediately seeing the brown headed prick very visibly on top of a red headed nurse.

"Doctor Dylan." I spat.

"I-uh- kinda- can you give me a minute?"

Nope.

"Why are you not checking your pager?" I asked.

"I have been." He spoke.

"What was the last page you got?"

"A reminder from Doctor Hemmings to give one of Cliffords patients morphine." He spoke, pissing me off even more

"And why have you not done it?" I spat.

"Because she's on three relaxers, she shouldn't wake up for another hour-" "she woke up." I spat.

"She was in so much fucking pain, that the pain woke her up and I just held her for ten minutes as she sobbed, begging me to put her to sleep because of the pain!" I yelled to him, seeing him immediately realizing how deep he was in shit.

"Report to her room as soon as you're finished here, I'm sure Doctor Clifford would love to speak to you."