fourteen

Luke.

Around eleven at night, after multiple delays and complaints, we were finally boarding the plane,

Harper was clearly tired, but refused to sleep as we waited, but I knew she would most likely fall asleep once we took off.

We took an energy bar that the flight attendants were handing out due to our delay and waiting time,

I guided Harper to our seats, letting her take the window seat.

We got situated, herself pulling a blanket out and throwing it over myself and her.

I thanked God, because this plane was freezing.

After going over safety precautions and preparing everything, we were soon taking off.

After about twenty minutes in the air and watching Harper fight her sleep, her head hit my shoulder, telling me she gave into her sleep,  making me gently rest my head onto hers.

I woke up to the rough feeling of the plane landing.

I sat up, making Harper also sit up, rubbing her eyes slowly.

We didn't speak, we both just tried to wake up.

As everyone exited the plane, I reset my phone and prepared to text Michael.

I held Harper's hood as she led the way to baggage claim, weaving through the large groups of people.

We stood together, yawning as we waited on our bags.

"Straight to the hotel tonight, right?" She asked me slowly.

"Yes." I spoke firmly, wanting nothing but to go back to sleep.

We soon got our bags, got an Uber and rode quietly to the hotel we had reservations at.

Her head leaned on my shoulder silently, her knee bouncing slowly.

We got out at the hotel, trudging inside.

I checked in, getting us both keys before leading the way to the elevator

"I'm tired" she spoke as I stepped in, holding it open for her and pushing the button again.

"It's two in the morning, you certainly have a reason to be."

We got to the room and as soon as we dropped our bags, it was a race to claim our beds.

She jumped on the first bed available, making me take the few extra steps to fall into the other.

"Thank god" I exhaled, hearing her hum in unison.

And then my phone rang

Michael

"Hello?" I spoke.

"Hey mate, made it?" He asked.

"Yeah- we just got into our room." I spoke.

"Good, the flight went okay?" He asked.

"Yeah- we both slept through pretty much the entire thing." I laughed lightly.

"Good, well- get some rest, I'm sure you two will have a long day tomorrow" he spoke.

"Thanks, I'll call you when we get moving" I told him.

We both said our goodbyes, and I hung up.

"Okay, Harper- I'm going to set and alarm for around eight because the police are meeting us at your house at nine thirty" I spoke, surprisingly getting no response from her

"That okay?" I asked

Nothing.

I stood, going around and seeing that she was already in a deep sleep.

I laughed lightly, pulling the sheets back before carefully lifting her and laying her under them, plugging her phone in for her.

"Goodnight to you as well"