twenty-six

I agreed.

I was trying so hard not to be annoying, but I knew I was being annoying.

"Just a little cold rush, okay?" Michael mumbled as he connected a needle to the tubing, slowly letting the liquid move through.

"Okay, now hold our hands and relax, we aren't going to do anything until that kicks in." Luke spoke, taking my hand tightly into his own, making me give it a small squeeze.

I listened to them talk quietly, talking to nurses nearby and others.

Luke.

I watched her glance around the room, focusing to certain things before looking away.

I continued to run my fingers over her knuckles, trying to give her comfort.

Without saying anything, she suddenly leaned forward, her head hitting my shoulder firmly, making Calum and Michael glance to each other.

"Okay sweetheart, we're gonna go draw a few marks on your back with a sharpie, nothing to stress over" michael told her, earning a nod as they moved around the table and behind her.

I watched as they marked the spots on her back before beginning to prep for the epidural.

"Okay love, you're going to feel just a cold and wet substance, I'm just sanitizing the spot." Calum told her quietly,

She had no reaction.

He finished cleaning the spot, his eyes meeting mine.

"Okay Harp, can you wrap your arms around Luke, give him a tight tight hug?" Michael spoke.

Her arms went around me, making me hold her arms firmly, not wanting her to move once she felt the pain of this needle.

"Okay, in a minute you're going to feel some pressure and a small pinch and then it's all going to go away. I need you to stay as still as possible, try not to move a single muscle for me, it'll be over before you can count to twenty." Calum spoke to her.

I felt her grip tighten and I watched her heart rate increase on the monitor.

"No moving, okay Harper?" Michael asked as he picked up the epidural needle.

"O-okay" she responded quietly, her face embedded into my stomach.

I held her arms tighter as I watched Michael position the needle.

Calum kept his hand on her side and lower back, prepared to stop her movement if she tried.

Michael glanced to the two of us before slowly inserting it, earning an immediate gasp from Harper, but she didn't even flinch.

Her grip tightened around me, but she was strong, she didn't try to even arch her back.

She didn't make another noise, making me move my hand to her head, holding her gently as Michael removed the needle, knowing the medicine was in.

"Okay Harper, sit up slowly for me." Michael spoke.

She sat up as I saw nothing but tears cascading down her cheeks.

I immediately wiped them, admiring how strong she was.

She didn't say a single word about it hurting, she was just taking the pain and trying to act as if it was nothing.

"You okay, Harper?" Calum asked slowly as Michael moved around the table.

"I don't want to do it anymore, it hurts too bad" she cried out, trying to hide her face from us.

"The worst part is over, Harper. You won't feel anything from this point on, I promise you." Michael told her.

She didn't respond, she just tried to breathe as we wiped her tears.

"Can you be even braver for me? If it's even possible. You're taking all of this like a boss, pretty girl. Now you get to lay down, relax and not feel a thing, then take a good nap after, hows that sound?" Michael asked her.

She didn't speak, but she gave us a nod.

Slowly we helped her lay on her stomach, covering her back up once she was comfortable and had her head facing me.

"Okay, just tell me if you need to move, other than that you can sleep, talk, anything you want."