fifteen

Harper.

I woke up to an alarm.

And I was instantly angry.

"Please turn it off" I groaned into my pillow, hearing Luke slowly moving to click it off.

After several seconds of hearing him moving, I felt my bed dip.

"Fifteen more minutes, please" I almost begged.

He laughed lightly.

"You can sleep while I shower, but he prepared to get up once I'm done, we have to be at your house at nine thirty."

I could deal with that.

So I knocked back out

Luke.

I got dressed, walking out and expecting to see her up and getting ready, but instead she was still out cold in the bed.

"Harper" I laughed, giving her shoulder a small squeeze.

She just hummed.

"Go shower so you can wake up." I spoke.

"Okay mom" she spoke sarcastically, making me laugh to her.

But I was successful

She got up, grabbing clothes and trudging herself to the bathroom.

As I fixed my hair and made sure I was all in order, she came out dressed with her wet hair braided and make up in hand.

I sat behind her in my bed as I watched her do her make up in a small mirror.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Concealer." She spoke.

"Covers up the dark circles and pimples" she finished explaining as she blended it in.

From that point on she explained every step as if she knew that I was going to ask.

"This is powder to set the concealer and make sure I don't get oily." She spoke.

"This is bronzer to add dimension to my face." She spoke.

"And lastly is mascara." She finished.

"That's all?" I asked her.

"I don't do a lot unless I'm going out with friends." She shrugged, making me nod.

"Good, you don't need a lot"

Soon we were catching an Uber and heading in the direction of her house.

A gated neighborhood.

How would someone break into a gated neighborhood?

The police were already there and greeted us as soon as we stepped out.

"Office Payton, you must be Harper" the man spoke, shaking Harper's hand.

"Officer Payton" he introduced himself to me.

"Luke- I'm her- I'm here for-" "he's my babysitter" she smiled out, making me smile with her as the cop nodded slowly.

"So you'll go in and identify anything that's missing, and answer a few questions after." He spoke, making her agree.

So we went in.

Everything was destroyed.

Picture frames, broken, lamps on the floor, glass everywhere you stepped.

"There was a painting on the wall right here." Harper spoke, pointing to the nail that was still lodged into the wall

Harper.

I knew who did it.

The paintings were gone, picture frames busted, tv gone, recliner- gone.

Everything he bought was gone.

But do I snitch my dad out?

We went upstairs, to my room first.

Spotless, just as I left it.

Not a thing touched.

My moms room was quite the opposite.

Picture frames all over the floor, jewelry scattered, but one thing missing stuck out the most to me

My moms wedding ring from my dad was always in her sock drawer, because she didn't wear it anymore, but she loved it too much to sell it.

But it was no longer in the sock drawer.

He couldn't have made it more obvious.

"Harper?" Luke's voice made me jump.

"Y-yeah?" I spoke slowly.

"You okay? What's missing?" He asked me.

"My moms wedding ring"