Some Days Suck

"I'm home." Fourteen year old Peter Stark called softly as he walked out of the elevator and collapsed onto the couch.

Tony was at a meeting with Nick Fury, so Steve had been waiting for Peter to get home. He was in the kitchen when he heard Peter announce his arrival in a rather miserable tone. He quickly went to find his nephew and saw him face down on the couch.

"Pete, you okay?" Steve asked gently, sitting on the coffee table in front of the couch.

Peter sighed and turned his head to face his uncle. "Do you ever feel like you just can't do anything right? Like everything you do, you mess up?"

Steve felt his heart shatter for the boy. "What happened, buddy?"

"I just can't do anything right today. I messed up on everything today: the simplest math problems, facts I've known since I was 7, just everything I did today was a screw up." Peter explained, sitting up on the couch.

Steve moved to sit beside the teenager and wrapped his arm around him, allowing Peter to lean against him for comfort. "We all have bad days, Pete. Everyone has them, the days where nothing goes right and everything you do to try and fix it makes it even worse. It happens. I wish it didn't happen to you, but it happens to everyone." Steve sighed. "Some days suck."

"This one sucks a lot." Peter groaned.

"Well, what's a fool-proof way to feel a little better?" Steve asked, looking down at his nephew and smiling. God did he love this kid.

"I don't know, movies and ice cream?"

Steve nodded. "We can make that happen. Want to watch Disney movies?"

Peter nodded. "Sure."

"Alright, I'll go get ice cream. FRIDAY, turn on Monsters Inc." Steve said, getting off the couch and returning a moment later with the entire container of ice cream and two spoons.

Peter chuckled as Steve sat down. "Thanks, Uncle Steve."

"Anything for you, kiddo."

After the two polished off the container of ice cream, Peter laid against Steve, his head on his uncle's leg. Steve played with Peter's hair as the boy slowly fell asleep.

"Love you, kiddo."

"Love you, too." Peter mumbled as he fell asleep.

An hour later, Tony got home and saw both Steve and Peter passed out on the couch. He chuckled and snapped a picture, happy his son had such a great family to lean on.