Numb and Happy

"Hello daddio!" Peter slurred slightly as he stumbled into the lab. Tony turned around quickly, seeing Peter standing unsteadily.

"Are you...drunk right now?" He asked as he walked towards him.

"Just as liiiitttllee bit." He laughed and nearly made himself fall over. Tony grabbed his upper arm to keep him upright, looking at Peter with extreme confusion and slight anger.

"What did you drink and why?" Tony asked, needing answers from his son.

"Drink, drank, drunk." Peter giggled. "The drink that I drank got me drunk."

"What drink was it?"

"From a bottle, yes."

"Which bottle?"

"I dunno. It was in a bottle and it tasted like fire. I got it from your liquor cabinet."

"What color was it?"

"Vodka color."

"So it was vodka?"

"Perhaps."

Tony sighed and shook his head. "Okay. Let's get you in bed so you can sleep this off and we'll talk in the morning."

"Me? In bed. Sleep? This off. Talk? In the morning. Hotel? Trivago." Peter laughed hysterically.

"Oh, kid." He shook his head again, leading Peter to the elevator by a hand on his shoulder.

"I should warn you that there's someone in my room."

"Who?" Tony asked as the elevator began moving.

"His name is Francisco, he's a hamster."

Tony gave him a weird look. "Where the hell did you get a hamster?"

"Just kidding!" He laughed, leaning against Tony's shoulder to stabilize himself. "You should've seen your face!"

"Okay then." He helped Peter stumble out of the elevator and into his room. "Lay down, go to sleep." He commanded, pushing his son onto his bed.

"Whoa, the room's spinning." Peter spoke, his face showing his disorient.

"Mhmm, close your eyes."

Peter obeyed and was soon asleep. Tony sighed before setting the garbage can beside his bed, putting aspirin and water on the night stand, and turning off the light. At least the hangover would punish Peter and discourage him from repeating the behavior. Now if only he knew what caused the behavior.

Tony went to bed and was woken up in the morning by FRIDAY saying, "Sir, Peter is throwing up."

He sighed and went to Peter's room, finding him on the floor with his head in the garbage can, puking.

"How's that hangover treating you?" He asked, sitting down beside him and resting a hand on his back.

"Horribly." Peter groaned, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand and falling back against the side of the bed.

"Why did you decide to drink last night?" Tony asked, watching as Peter averted his eyes and began biting his nails.

"Dunno." He mumbled, still not looking at his dad.

"Peter, why?"

"Just wanted to feel numb and..happy." He admitted quietly, keeping his eyes on the floor.

Tony looked at him with his eyebrows furrowed. "What are you talking about?"

"It's just...things have been too overwhelming lately and I feel like I'm going to inevitably fail at everything. Plus, every other teenager drinks, figured I might as well join the club."

"Pete, why didn't you come talk to me? If things are feeling like too much, we can work through it together and make things feel easier. You don't have to drink away your feelings, or try and be like other teenagers. You aren't other teenagers, you're my son and you can come to me when things are feeling out of control." Tony said, pushing Peter's messy hair off of his forehead.

"Okay, I'm sorry. Am I grounded?" He asked before he felt his stomach lurch. He grabbed the trashcan and threw up again.

"I think your hangover is punishment enough, just as long as I hear you promise not to do this again." He decided, making a gagging-face at the stench coming out of the trashcan.

"Oh, I'm never doing this again." He groaned before puking again.

"Great, in that case I'm going to go childproof the liquor cabinets and make breakfast. You want eggs? I can make them extra gooey and runny." Tony tortured Peter with his descriptions, watching as Peter nearly gagged once more at the thought.

"Stop." He whined, holding his stomach.

Tony chuckled, shaking his head. "Alright, I'm getting out of here because your room smells like ass. Take the aspirin I left by your bed and rest. Tell FRIDAY if you need anything."