Chapter Twenty Nine

(A/N) Wow, I am SO SORRY! I haven't updated in over a month (or two maybe??), but I promise it was for the best! I really didn't like the way I wrote this chapter and the next few before, so I spent some time trying to figure out how to make them better. I didn't just want to post bad chapters instead of actually working on them no matter how long it took so yeah. The rest of the chapters won't take as long to publish, so thanks for your patience if you've been waiting. Thank you all for reading!
Keep reading, loves!
-J

I asked Uma to read Audreys diary. I would have myself, being someone who knew her fairly well, but I never thought her jealousy was as bad as it really was. From skimming a few pages, I could tell she wasn't just a girl who couldn't get over a guy. It went a lot deeper than that, and I didn't want to read about my friend hurting. I sat on my bed and messed with my hook necklace while Uma read through the journal.

After a few minutes, she spoke. "She's probably at Fairy Cottage. We can tell Mal and Evie when they get back." She threw the diary down and laid back in Audrey's bed.

"Okay, good," I said. Uma and I looked at each other.

"Nice necklace," she said, looking at the hook I was twirling around in my hand and smirking slightly. I chuckled a bit.

"Thanks," I answered simply, giving her a small smile. "Did you find anything else useful in there?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Just that Mal really ruined her life... and you tried to help her fix it."

"Please, her life was practically perfect. Or at least it seemed like it." I looked down at the floor. I always thought that people in Auradon, even with their flaws, were perfect and happy. I guess Audrey was an example of how wrong I was.

"What do you mean?" Celia asked, walking over to me, covered in Audrey's jewlery. I looked at her with a small smile.

"I just... didn't realize that people from Auradon had to go through bad stuff, too, sometimes. I mean, they have it a lot easier than the Isle, but still."

We all stayed quiet for a few moments. Uma turned onto her side in Audrey's bed, and Celia layed down on mine. I stayed where I was, trying to think of something other than our current problems. My mind almost instantly found it's way to Harry, but before I could really form a thought, Celia spoke.

"I can't wait to have my own bed like this." I smiled at her and laughed a little.

~~~

The girls and I left for Evies house once Mal and Evie came back to the dorm room. When we got there and went inside, we found Dizzy and the twins asleep on the couch. Although compared to everyone else, it looked like they were having nightmares. I walked over to them with Celia, who covered the three in a blanket, and fixed the twins glasses and hats. Then, we heard snoring from the back room. I turned around and followed the three oldest girls as they headed towards the source. Once we entered the room we found Doug laying on the floor asleep.

"Uh, who's the dude?" Uma asked us.

"Doug," Evie said. She ran over to him and kneeled, trying to wake him up.

"He's spelled. Is she not a fast learner?" Uma asked.

"She's emotionally involved, okay?" Mal answered.

"Well," Uma started, "if that's the case, she should be able to wake him up." We all looked at her. "True loves kiss? Works every time." I turned to Evie to look for her response. I figured if she could wake anyone up it would be Doug, but it was her decision. I also knew she would be nervous in case she found out they weren't meant to be.

"We haven't actually said the 'L' word yet." Evie looked back at Doug. "Can we be alone?" The three of us nodded and walked out.

"I'm gonna go check on the kids," I said, turning to Mal.

"We'll fix this," Mal told me, giving me a reassuring smile. I tried to return it.

"Yeah, I know. It's just that Audrey has your moms scepter, and everyone's turned to stone or asleep, and we have no clue how to help them and save Auradon-" Mal stopped me by grabbing my hands.

"But we'll figure it out."

I hesitated. "I know. Thanks, M." Mal smiled at me.

"We'll tell you what happens with Evie and Doug," she said and let go of my hands. I gave her and Uma a small smile before walking to the living room. Celia was kneeling next to the couch trying to calm the kids down in case they got more nightmares. I sat down on a nearby chair and closed my eyes, trying to think about what to do. Even if we find Audrey, Mal won't be able to stop her without Hades ember, and I don't know if I could convince Uma to give it up.

"Looks like Evie's in love," Mal said as she walked into the room a few minutes later with Uma. I looked up at them.

"Really?" I asked happily. We really needed the good news.

"Definitely," Uma answered while rolling her eyes, and I smiled.

"I always knew it would be Doug," I said, and everyone laughed.

After a while, the four of us went to the kitchen to eat the cake Carlos got Jane for her birthday.

"That was a really good idea," Mal said suddenly, looking at Uma, "to check Audrey's room. Now we know that we're in the right direction."

Uma just looked at her. "Is there an insult in there that I missed?"

"Just... I wanted to thank you."

~~~

The three of us- Celia went to check on the kids- were still at the table eating cake when a board was slammed against the window. Then, more started appearing, trapping us inside the house. Celia ran downstairs as we got up, looking for an exit, but there wasn't one. All of the doors and windows were now covered.

"We're trapped!" Celia yelled. Evie and Doug came running into the room with worried expressions.

"Are you guys okay? What's going on?" Evie asked.

Mals eyes went green, and she stuck her hands out. "You've caused my friends pain and fear. We've had enough, now disappear!" Nothing happened. "You guys, I'm sorry. My spells aren't working."

If Mals spells weren't working, we truly would be trapped in here for who knows how long. I saw Umas pearl necklace start to glow at the same time I started feeling a hot sensation on my hands. I looked down to see a red fire burning in each of my palms which was completely new magic for me. I knew my eyes had started glowing as well.

Mal grabbed my hand and I grabbed Umas, knowing that with all of our magic combined we would have the best chance. I was also glad to know that my fire wasn't burning my friends hands.

"You've caused our friends pain and fear. We've had enough, now disappear!" we yelled together, and the boards fell and disappeared like they were never even there. I felt my body temperature cooling as the fire in my hands died down until all the flames were gone. Evie hugged me, and Uma gave Mal her ember back.

"You are just full of surprises," Evie said jokingly into my ear and when we pulled back, I smiled at her. Celia ran to look outside.

"Hey," she said, turning to Mal, "it's your bae."