Chapter Three

The incident that happened last night completely freaked me out and I couldn't sleep the entire night as I kept seeing footsteps outside of my bedroom. It was during dawn that I got some sleep.

When I went downstairs for breakfast, I noticed there was a file left on the table and then I remembered that Devin and Dayana were supposed to go for some conference meeting early in the morning, and Theo and Chandler had already left for school.

That meant I was home alone with Castle.

I tried not to dwell on the fact that being alone with Castle might be a little nerve-wracking since I had to look over my shoulder constantly.

The kitchen was slick and modern, still had a vintage oven, and I knew for a fact that their parents had probably loved and cherished the old designs and kept it. I poured myself a glass of OJ and grabbed two slices of toast as I settled down onto the stool near the island bar and read through the file.

There were pages of Dos and Don'ts, Castle's likes and dislikes and what they expected of me as his Caregiver. A few lines that were highlighted caught my eye; it mentioned that Castle wasn't allowed to roam freely out of the house unattended. He also could not have his meals unsupervised, and from what I could collect from this document was the fact that basically I was supposed to be Castle's guard-dog.

Castle's life seemed gloomy. I made a mental note to get to know him better regardless of how brooding and creepy he was, and I would become his friend if nothing else. His brother was paying me well. It was only natural I took this job very seriously.

"Good Morning, Miss. Millicent. I see that you're up early." Susan, the cook, walked into the kitchen, a bright smile plastered over his face.

"Good Morning, Susan, please call me Millie as everyone else in this house does. And yes, I enjoy waking up early."

"That makes the two of us." She commented, "I hope you had a good night's sleep."

I wondered if this was some kind of trick question, if she knew about Castle prowling around late at night and wanted to see if I spilled, but the more I tried to analyze her, the more I realized I was imagining it. The question was casual.

Susan was a plump woman with a lovely smile; she had the motherly vibe going about it.

"I did." I lied.

I read through the entire file, and couldn't help but think about the caretakers that were hired here before me. What was the reason they fired her?

She served me a very appetizing looking waffle topped with whipped cream and strawberries. I thanked her and knew this was my chance to do some investigating.

"Susan, is it alright if I asked you something about Castle?"

"Go ahead, honey." She said, pouring me a cup of coffee.

"Does Castle normally stay up late until midnight?"

Her bright mood suddenly turned gloomy as she stared into the distance at a memory. "He likes to run free most of the time, so they let him. Mr. Montgomery thinks there's no harm. There was a time when they used to lock him up in his bedroom at night because the Caregiver who was here before you, Tracy suggested that, and she..." Her eyes suddenly turned red, and she snatched a few tissues as she cried, "she harmed the poor boy. Tracy would beat him, and let him scream, and he kept banging on the door, wanting to be out. She was a disgusting woman. The caregivers that came before her weren't any better. I often found wounds on Castle's body inflicted by them."