Chapter Thirty Four

Time at the hospital felt like a vacation. I was kind of liking it, i.e. laying in bed, having the nurses bring the food (even though it was crappy), getting fussed over, and talking to the old granny, the one with the Alzheimer's who thought her son was still in preschool, and not having to constantly worry about how I was going to be tortured to death.

It was a good feeling.

But as they say, all good things come to an end and my fun little six day vacation in the hospital was over too. Time was running out and as much as I would have loved to sleep on this depressing but nice bed and sip on my non-existent Piña colada, we needed to move our asses out of here and besides; we were okay. There was no need for medical attention anymore.

I had bought a few burner phones from a nearby departmental store, which I'd been using to contact Theo. Our cellphones had already turned to dust in the crash, and if I wanted to play dead, it was convenient to not use our cellphones.

I told Theo where I wanted the cash to be delivered because getting a wire transfer was out of question. I also didn't need his cards to be traced, which would only cause more problems and give away our location.

Devin was smart, and I would be stupid to underestimate him. He'd done well making sure we didn't survive, and if it weren't for my decision to jump off a speeding car, Devin would have gotten what he wanted.

I made sure the nurse was nowhere in view and passed Castle some clothes that I had bought from the store. It wasn't his usual expensive designer stuff. This was a cheap t-shirt, and jeans the type you would get in a bargain sale, but he needed to make do with this. We didn't have the luxury to play Richie Rich, definitely not when I needed the money if we planned to drag the days with the five thousand dollars that I had.

I must mention though, Castle looked extremely hot in a hospital gown, it was loose yet I could see outlines of the hard ridges and the defined abs underneath.

I shook away from the cloud of lust that was trying to blind me as I watched him undress and then put on the clothes in front of me. I changed into a dress. It wasn't flattering, to say the least, but I wasn't exactly trying to impress anybody.

I placed a baseball cap on Castle's head and pulled it low. Looking up into his sexy golden eyes, I told him, "We have to be discreet about this as much as possible. We can't get caught, okay?"

Suddenly, I wanted that vacation to France to be real. How nice it would have been to sit in some café in Paris and stuff my face with éclairs. I didn't even have a passport until a few days ago, and I was about to die without having a stamp on it. It's hilarious how far Devin had gone to make this vacation ruse seem believable.

Castle nodded, and I loved that about him. He trusted me completely. I went up on my tiptoes and kissed him once before giving him a heads up as to what we were supposed to do.

He listened to me intently and allowed me to make decisions.

"Why are they calling us Mr...." he pondered for a moment, "Mr.and Mrs. Carter?" He asked.

"I have no idea. When I woke up, that's what they were calling us, Mike and Shelly Carter, and I didn't correct them because I realized it was best we take an alias. If we go by..." I looked outside, making sure no one was under earshot, and lowered my voice, "if we go by Montgomery, we'll easily get traced and we can't let that happen."

The name held power and it would be a lot messy if someone put two and two together and we were discovered.

"Where are we going, Millie?"

"I don't know, but we're taking the bus." I told him.

He didn't look so sure. I interlaced our fingers. "We'll figure this out, I promise."