Chapter Thirty Seven

Devin thought I didn't know about their parents. I'd read Aster's journals, I knew how Devin and Dayana had been adopted into the family even though they were Montgomery's by name only, but if I mentioned I knew their history, I would have to tell them about the journal, and then Theo would get into trouble.

Devin was still looking at me, waiting for me to say something.

"I'm sorry your parents died, but what else do you expect me to say? I cannot trust you, neither believe anything that you're telling me because you've been nothing but cruel to me. I almost died because of you. Castle would have been dead if we hadn't jumped off a speeding car. We looked out for each other, so if this is one of your ploys where you try to put him in a bad light, it's not working on me, and it never will."

There was silence at the table.

I took deep breaths. I felt like Devin would lash out, but now he wouldn't. He didn't have the authority to do it, and I wasn't scared.

I saw Castle's lip twitch upward in a smirk.

My little speech had been a blow to Devin's ego. He'd expected me to be scandalized by what he'd told me, expected me to lash out. Nothing was going to surprise me anymore.

I'd lived through the worst. My legs were broken, and I was locked in the cellar, accused of being a gold-digger, my nails wrenched out, jumped out of a moving car and emotionally broken, and all this only in a matter of a few months.

I could handle some bitter truths.

"It's not just the murder of our parents, Millie. There are other things you have no clue about."

"I'm sure whatever it is, it wouldn't be anything that I can't handle," I said, climbing to my feet. "Now, if you'll excuse me."

Just before I could leave the table, a hand grasped mine and stopped me.

I whirled around to see Castle holding my hand. His touch burned into an inferno. "Winston will get your anklet off, darling. You should find him first."

The endearing word set a flight of butterflies into my stomach, "Um...yeah...of course, sure. Thank you."

Way to go Millie! You're a blubbering mess.

He chuckled; his laugh was pleasing to my ears. I could have him record an audiobook and keep listening to it and never tire of it. "Don't thank me. It's the least I could do. This isn't a prison, Millicent, it's your home." He kissed my hand, which sent desire shooting through my body.

I was falling deeper in love with him.

I knew the old Castle accepted me and loved me, but having this one say that I belonged here was a validation that I needed to hear.

I nodded and left the room to find Winston.

*~*

It was gone. The tracker was no longer attached to my ankle. It was my first step towards freedom, the freedom that had only been possible because Castle had regained his memories.

When the time to go back to my room arrived, I felt a little on edge.

What would happen now?

Would it be awkward to share a bed? Would he expect me to move my stuff to another room? Castle had been kind to me so far, and although he had admitted to remembering everything slowly, it still felt like we were strangers.

I didn't know what to expect. I climbed the stairs slowly, and when I reached the door, I took a few deep breaths.

When I opened the door, he wasn't in the room. I heaved a sigh.