Chapter Five

I did some research on the Montgomery family and was honestly surprised about how little information the family had online. It's like someone had done a good job of keeping their family history wiped from the databases.

I found a family picture with the parents that had supposedly died in the boating accident. It was taken when the kids were still very young. I could spot Castle easily in the picture. The sable hair and the golden-brown eyes were unmistakably alluring. He looked no older than seventeen, standing behind his parents, who were seated on a couch with Devin and Dayana on either side of them. Theodore was in his mother's lap, while Chandler wasn't even born.

To an onlooker, they seemed like a happy family that had everything that anyone would ever want: wealth, power, status, a lovely wife and four beautiful children, and yet, things had gone so horribly wrong in the end. It just made me sad looking at the picture, and realizing that nothing lasted for a long time. Good things could be taken away in a snap of a moment.

"Miss. Millie, it's time for Castle's to go outside in the courtyard for a walk." The voice made me jump. I quickly shut the laptop, and I turned to look at the petite figure standing by the door. It was Sally, the quiet maid who liked to keep to herself. She'd rather sweep the non-existent dirt on the floor for hours than engage in the maid's gossip. They had so many staff spread all around the mansion that I was sure I wasn't even introduced to some of them yet.

"I'll be right there," I said, climbing to my feet and walking out of the door.

Castle was already waiting for me in the sitting area, wearing a maroon t-shirt over denim. His usually neatly combed hair was unruly, and for a moment, his gaze briefly met mine before he looked away. He kept his eyes downcast and kept clenching something in his hand.

"Good Evening, Castle. Are you ready to go outside?"

When he didn't respond, I took that as a yes and started walking ahead of him. I knew he was following me. I wore a long-sleeved summer dress and had tied my hair up in a long ponytail. According to the rule book, it mentioned that I was supposed to dress appropriately at all times, seeing as the house was filled mostly with men. They had a few caretakers that tried to entice Devin in exchange for a few favors, but Devin had made it pretty clear that he didn't need such people in his house and more importantly under his employment.

We walked through the mansion gardens; the way paved ahead was surrounded by well-manicured lush green shrubs. Castle trudged behind me slowly, kicking pebbles, and suddenly he raced forward and blocked my way.

I stopped short and kept my distance from him. At five-seven, I was taller than most women, but he was still huge and stood close to me, so close that I could smell the faint scent of soap and something like a hint of raspberry.

Stop thinking about his scent! He's not even capable of reciprocating any type of those feelings. And shouldn't I be feeling guilty to have my heart racing for someone like Castle?

"What is it?" I asked, feeling more nervous now than ever.

What if he hurt all those nannies before me and they were forced to flee? There was no one close here to witness if anything wrong were to happen to me. Castle could wring my neck for "fun" and hang me to dry outside the mansion without breaking a sweat, and his family would probably be like ′here we go again, well, let's just post another ad for an unsuspecting nanny.′

Who am I kidding? The family had tons of money, and good political connections as well. Hiding a murder wouldn't be that difficult.

Castle watched me intently. His brown eyes looked light golden in the sunset. I looked down at what he was holding out in his palm for me. He said softly, "It's for you."