Just Breath Raven

A fresh smell of the ocean hits me as soon as I open the door. The house is filled with laughter, but I hear nothing. I block all my senses and focus on that particular scent. I want to mask myself into it. I want to submerge myself into the puddle of the scent so much like the ocean itself. I was hungry for it.

I smile at them as I hide my feelings. Consciously or subconsciously, I would take deep breaths. I don't know which one it was. Neither did I care. I walked towards them, but my heart wanted to follow that smell that seemed to have disappeared somewhere upstairs. Probably one of those rooms.

"If you had just called me, I would have come to pick up you easily." I hear Elias speak. "I don't have a phone." I reply mindlessly. "Oh, that's an issue we can solve." He mutters.

"Anyways, who were you talking to? We heard you talking for a while. Is this one of your hobbies that we don't know about. Yet." Eliana's sarcasm is full on as usual. But my mind is elsewhere. "Yeah. I do that a lot. Sometimes. I. What?"

Raven. Get yourself together. I slap myself on both my cheeks. Hard. "Oww." Maybe a bit too hard. I'm no more in my daze though. My cheeks sting but I smile regardless. "Hello. I'm home." I shout and run to Eliana. Yeah, I'm crazy like that. And the rest are watching me as I have completely lost it. Even Aya.

"My poor little beast. It must have been hard for you. I think we need to get you off that campus. I don't think it's meant for you." I nod my head which is resting on her chest, my arms fully wrapped around her. Eliana's hand is mockingly patting my head. "What little sanity you had; you seem to have lost it too."

"Yes, I completely agree with you for once." I nod again. While I hear a chuckle from my side. "I can hear you. I'm weird. But I'm not deaf." Then they all start laughing. But I don't let go of Eliana.

Then I smell it again. This scent. It's starting to fill the room. I am once again starting to lose it. I'm drowning in the pool of ocean that's hitting me hard. My lungs only filled by this smell. My heart is beating erratically now. "Are you okay?" Eliana must have felt a change in my beating heart. I was too close to her.

I need to let go. I need to get out of here. I think I'm going to be sick. The smell is so addicting but I refuse to breath it in anymore. I don't want to drown in it. I need to get away from here. I stopped breathing a while ago. My lungs are begging me to fill them with some air. But the air around here is filled with this scent. I cannot. Then I start shaking.

"Okay. Now, you are starting to scare me." Eliana's voice is loud, but it feels like it's distance away. I feel myself losing my balance. If it wasn't for her tight grip around me, I would have banged my head on the hard floor by now.

I can feel them coming to me now. Surrounding me. Suffocating me. Hands shaking me from everywhere. I want everyone to stop.

"Stop." I think I managed to gasp as nobody is on me now. "Woods. Calm. Heart." I wheeze out.

I feel arms around my slack body, lifting me up. Then they are speeding their way out of the house and in no time, I'm surrounded by nature. They lay me on the ground, and I turn my body sideways almost facing the ground itself. Then I breath in. A lungful of it. I know I'm making weird noises. As I'm hungrily filling in my starved lungs.

Aya was here with me, as I am taking lungful of her scent too. She's softly touching my head, getting my hair out of my face. I just laid there in that position for a while. Then I turned so I was laying on my back. I opened my eyes to the starry sky. It reminds of back then. Home.

That word is now so foreign to my mouth. I laugh now. I laugh hard. I don't know why. I think I have truly lost what little I had as Eliana said. After my hysterical phase was gone. "I'm sorry." I whisper looking at Aya's worried face. I shuffle a little, so my head was on Aya's lap.

"You know this reminds me so much of back then." I held my hand, so it was in my face. I closed my fist as if trying to grab the shiny pieces from the night sky. I smile. Aya looks up at the sky and smiles.

She looks down at me and her smile disappears. "What happened in there?"

"Would you believe...if I said..." What now? "I was trying to see how long I could hold my breath?" I ask her back.

I know Aya doesn't buy any of the lie I'm filling her with. "I really was." I insist. "Then I really couldn't. So..."

"So, here you are? Is that it? Amara, you know you can't lie to me, right?" Oh, boy.

"I'm not lying. I'm really not." I get my head off her lap. "Oh, what time is it? It's late. I think you need to go to bed." I stand up along with Aya who's giving me a disapproving look.

I turn around and see them by door. "Elias, I think you need to come and get your mate. She's eating whatever brain I've left." I yell towards them. As laughter echoes the silent night. "Hurry."

"Amara. We are so not done yet." Aya forces me to turn around to face her.

"Oopsies. Too late. He's already here." I say slyly. Elias comes to hug Aya from behind. Eliana comes through with...

This smell. It's him.