Raven That Smells Like Wildflowers

Eliana Tessa Castellanos

Guilt once again ate my insides. But I stepped into the palace building, wetting the marble floor as I walked through the hallway, following his gruesome cries of pain. It broke my heart even more as I got closer and closer.

The click of my heel was the only sound that echoed the hallway along with his roars.

Now I was back to the entrance of the hall that fully smelled of him. Why? The opened door was heavily guarded with Lycan soldiers, trying to contain him. They were hunched back, ready to shift, attack. Ready for a fight.

But I doubt they were enough. When a Lycan mourns for their mate, they are unstoppable. I don't think even I can stop his raging heart. The only person that could was no more. But I have to apologize to him. I have to let him punish me. I have been left unpunished for too long.

The heavy scent of mint gets stronger as I walk towards them. But I don't make any contacts with the soldiers. My eyes focused on the front. To my calling.

They parted their way for me as I heard a deep growl coming from one of them. But I didn't stop or turn around to find out. I placed a rock on my heart and stepped into the reality of my nightmare. The reason behind my sleepless night. The one place that I never wanted to return to.

I looked around the room. It was still the same as a year ago. Heavily wrapped around with vines covered in leaves. Dark. Green. And Haunted. Exactly how I left it but with no presence of any of the white flowers. I sniffed the air around as I made my way further in. There was only a hint of her scent that lingered around. But it was slowly fading too.

The Lycan still sat there where I last saw him. At the podium where she once laid. Where she still lays. Deep within the earth.

My footsteps falters but doesn't stop. I continue walking towards the podium and climbed the stairs to stand behind him. I hear a loud angry snarl coming from the Lycan as he abruptly stands and turns with his clawed arms, aimed at me. But I don't move.

I feel the soldiers trying to come defend me but with a show of hand, they stop. So does the Lycan in front of me. His dark eyes looks at me. Analyses me. Then he recognises me. He slowly retreats his hand back and turns around to sit by her.

My brother is so broken right now. He has lost himself completely to his Lycan, but he still remembers me. The sinner me. Why?

I take the last few steps towards him and fall on my knees beside him. I look at the flooring densely covered with vines. This was the only place that had a few traces of wildflowers, lightly scattered around to where her body laid. I bring my hand from my lap and gently trace the vines as if I'm touching her arms. A lone tear falls from my eye. I haven't cried for the past year. I didn't deserve to cry. Tears were too much of a luxury for a sinner like me. But at this moment, I couldn't hold it in anymore.

I take a loud deep breath and exhaled shakily. I felt the Lycan's eyes on me as I myself slowly turned around to finally face him. His face laced with pain. Longing for his mate. It hurt me to see him like that. My lips trembled as the tears flowed freely. "I'm sorry."

My voice is barely audible, but I know he hears me. "I'm so sorry, brother." I cry my heart out. "I-I... because of me, she's no more." He lets out a soft growl and the corners of his lips bleeds as his sharp canines pierces his flesh. "I shouldn't have forced her to come here." I inhale a deep shaky breath. "If only, I let her stay back. If only- I'm sorry."

I slowly reach out my hands forward, towards his face. When he doesn't turn away, I place my shaking hands on either side of his face, cupping his face. I leaned forward and placed my forehead against his as I cried out loud. I didn't care anymore. I don't care who is watching me. I don't care what they will think of me. I was done holding everything in.