Ch 29 - Footsteps

What now after being kicked out?

Enjoy.

~~~~~

Your heart sank as you held your helmet and walked down the hallway. Your head down in shame and you could only think about what is really going to happen next. Was it over? Was Maruo going to demand and control the situation? Nino seemed confident in handling him, but there is still just a little reasonable doubt. That's all.

You were heading the long way home. Not the massively long back roads or going under the speed limit. Nor the places with all the lights and detours. It started with ten. Ten flights of stairs. You were going to take the stairs the whole night and hope for a miracle. Because as soon you got home and to your desk, you weren't going to be able to focus properly. It would be Nino and what ifs. 

During the long walk up the set of stairs in the garage your phone rang. You didn't care who it was. You just answered it.

"Hello?"

< (FN)? You on the bike? >

"Ichika?"

< Are you on the road? >

"No. The stairwell. Why?"

< Come back. Please. >

"Are you nuts? Isn't Pops there?" That's not badboy talk you know.

< He left a minute or so ago. Nino told him off and she's on the floor crying. >

"Not if I can help it! Be right there! Meet me at the doors." You hang up the phone and spring into action. Sprinting down the stairs in the garage to the elevator. Save you a few floors. The elevator brings you down as you catch your breath. Your heart is racing. You run down to the front doors and Ichika right there. Holding the door for you. You run inside and to the elevator with her and hit the tenth floor button.

"So, how are you right now? You okay?" She asked.

"More concerned about her. I'll be okay if she is." 

"Here we thought you were on the road by now. Myself included." 

"Glad I took the stairs. Either way I don't care what it would take. I would have come back. As long as the man isn't there. What the hell happened to him?" You lift your head up to see if Ichika will tell you the details.

"Ripped him a new one and mentally hit him hard. He left a minute or two later in a depressed state after she was done. After he left she balled. Your jacket might be soaked." As if it mattered, it was just to let you know her emotions are not in a great place.

"I got to hear this one. I feel awful. But more importantly, I need to see her and do whatever it takes. Ichika I love Nino. That's why I'm here."

Ichika sighed happily. "Almost like in writing."

"Easy as starting my bike." The elevator door opened and you ran over there. Opened the door and slide on the ground to wrap Nino in a hug. "I'm here."

Nino opened her eyes. "Boo?" She hugged you tightly. "What are you doing here?"

"I told you I would do my best. You said no matter what we would make it work. Isn't this what I'm doing? I'm right here. Take your time. That was difficult and I could only imagine what happened when I left the room. So please. On you. I plan on going nowhere until I think you're okay."

"I couldn't take it anymore." She hugged into you tightly. "I'm tired of him thinking he knows us completely. All he's done is throw money at us and throw in bonuses for terms. We aren't businesses and employees. I can't be bought out. And neither can any of my sisters."