Ch 49 - Take It Back

This is getting to a close. And even though I hate Maruo Nakano, I need to give him a little justice.

Enjoy.

~~~~~

I dreamed of this for a while. When I was in my room studying late after tutoring sessions, to college stress as our schedules were nearly opposite, to our trips here and there. We have decided to move in soon. And what would be more amazing to welcome a new apartment like a ring? A proposal that she deserves a committed man to be by her side for life. Not replace her sisters, but to give her the love, care, and smiles that she deserves as a solid partner. 

After everything I was thinking the last couple years I have finally got to put things into action. Started working part time for a company that offered me full time after I graduate. Making an okay amount of money. Good for me in the sense because this is just starting out. Though obviously Nino is the one making it right now. Pops aside, she's bringing home the bacon. And cooking it too. Oh well. 

I managed to round up a few things. And I even debated if I should pull one final joke before I retire completely from the old life. Replace the bike with something more modern and professional, dress better, and for the money for the ring... I did debate about the cigarette dispensers. I really did. But that would do no justice. Just put me back when I was seventeen again. Not happening. 

As far as money for the famous question of "how did you do it?" actually happened in two ways. I was shocked by both outcomes. It started during a casual Sunday night conversation with my parents. What should have been an easy going miso and stir-fry. But it lead to much more than that. The start to the change of my life. 

It was dinner at your house that evening. Ma had a good meal set for herself and wanted you and Pops to wake up on a good note. It was mellow. Though of course, the story of your girlfriend would be brought up. Common nature. 

"So how is Nino liking it as Sous Chef for the restaurant?" Asked your mother.

"Loving it. Pays well too. Hey, why not."

Your father pondered the thought. "Recently? Refresh my memory."

"Choji apparently the previous one quit to travel to land and explore to benefit his career for a while. Then was going to work for a restaurant in Osaka before eventually opening his own. Then a server quit so Nino just sort of slide in there." Your mother explained the situation again. 

"Ah. Good money I take it too. Though you've been done with school for a few months. I'm curious, what is next for you?" Your father thought you had this master plan.

"Well Dad, I honestly want to marry her but I don't know if I can afford a ring. A good one that is."

Your father smiled and shook his head. "You're my son alright."

"What does that mean?"

"When I was a little younger than you I actually had an agreement with my father. They didn't have loans like they do now. But I went for it. And yeah, it's your mother. You have a plan (FN)?"

"Yeah I do. Now... Just have to find it."

Though that sounds good right? Get a loan and pay back the store all of that money for the ring. Right? Well, actually, that was an obstacle in itself. Then there was always tradition. Which is, going to the parents. Nino's mother passed long ago. So there was only one. And I weighed that day coming over on my head as if it was an anvil.

So I get the ring. That was easier than I thought because Father went with me. I see this diamond that speaks to me and I'm paying over a few years about over a million yen or ten large in the dollar amount, but there was a catch-22 to that one. What the hell happens when someone says it isn't good enough?

It is a Thursday night. Nino is working away at the restaurant, you're off work, ordered food, and now you have to see Maruo and Ebata. It is time to make the time and show the man what you want to do for his daughter. What kind of man that is going to be there for the long haul. Who you are and who she is going to be with. This is an important moment for you. So you called him and asked to see him in his office after the dinner hour. You are composed and ready to see what is going on.

"Good evening everyone." You walk into the office.

"Ah. First boyfriend. How's things?" Smiled Ebata.

Maruo put his pen down. "Good evening. How are you?"

"Not bad. Just waiting on the move in date and we go from there."

"That's right. You and Nino got that apartment. Proud of the two of you actually. It was bound to happen sometime. I mean Miku and Fuutaro haven't thought about it and Itsuki just got her position recently so that is out of the question for now. But what did you come to speak to me about tonight? About the apartment? A job?" Maruo has mellowed out over the years to a certain extent. 

"I need to show you something." You walk over to his desk. 

"What can this be?"

"Maruo, I want Nino to marry me. I want to take her hand and commit. Here's the ring." You place the black box on his desk and step back. 

Maruo opens up the box and shakes his head. "Return it. That's not going to cut it."

"Uhhh..." Dumbfounded. What a hurtful thing to do. So apparently you drive her around on a moped, go to the beach, spend the night, go to hotels, and the works, but the ring is not good enough. Why? He said it so casually. How degrading. "Sir I even took a loan for this."

"Moment. I'm not done."

He took out a key from his pocket and opened up a drawer in his desk. Searching around for a moment and took out a similar black box. Though bigger than yours. Is it what you think it is? "Open it." He slide it over the desk. 

You take a look. It is all shiny and bigger, and just, everything you could dream of. "Maruo... this is what I make in a year easily."

"I got four more. Don't worry about it."

"What!?"

He sighed. "(FN) you think I expected my daughters to date an actor, entrepreneur, or some big shot? No. You, Fuutaro, and Itsuki's friend are average men. But you and Fuutaro have became honorable, respectful gentlemen. I wanted one day my daughters to have a ring to remember each other by. They won't be together forever, but they will be sisters. Ichika is going to be in and out of the country, Yotsuba might too. And for the other three that is really up to them. They might stay, might leave for a job or quieter atmosphere, and everything else you can think of." Maruo got up from his chair to present a handshake. 

"Maruo?"

"Shake my hand and propose to my daughter. You have my blessing."

You shake his hand firmly. "Yes Sir!"

"And remember, its Maruo. Not Pops."

You chuckle. "Yes Sir."

~~~~~

Make the time.

-Rel