Chapter 3

Michaels POV:

I open my eyes. Shit did I fall asleep?
I bring my head up and take my headphones off and put them round my neck. I hear a noise and turn my head to see Jeremy sitting up next to me.

"Oh hey look who finally woke up"

I'm in that state of half asleep half awake so manage to mumble back to him

"I don't remember falling asleep"
"Well you definitely did. Looks like in the middle of a drawing"

He takes a peek and my open sketchbook

"I don't know why you didn't take art. You're amazing at drawing"

I feel my face flush red so I close my sketchbook and put it on the side

"I'm really not. I just doodle"

We sit for a while just talking. My mind wakes up and I remember what happened yesterday. Jeremy. My best friend and huge crush. Kissed me. I want to bring it up so badly but he said he wanted to forget what happened and move on. So I'm going to do that. I sit up properly and feel an ache in the back of my neck. I guess sleeping with your head tilted down whilst still sitting up isn't the best thing in the world.
I check the time. 7:34am

"Jeremy!!"
"What?"
"We are gonna be late for school! Why didn't you wake me!"
"Michael we aren't going to school today. Not after what happened with Rich"

I haven't the energy to fight back. I feel myself lean against him and to my delight he doesn't try to push me away. Then- is that his arm? I feel his arm go round my waist. I thought he wanted to forget what happened? God why does he do this to me.
I sit up

"If we aren't going to school then I should get some homework done"
"Nerds do homework michael"
"Nerds wear glasses"
"You- you wear glasses"
"My point stands still"

I watch him smile as I get up. I fell asleep in my clothes from school the previous day so I might as well just stay in these.
I can tell jeremy is watching me as I get my books out my bag.

"Dude you aren't actually gonna do work are you"

I sit at my desk

"What else did you have in mind?"
"AOTD?"

My pen stops in the air. I drop it and turn to him. A smile slowly creeping onto my face.

"You got me. My essay can wait"

He smiles at me and makes my heart flip. Fuck.
After no more persuasion we set up the game and sit playing for what feels like hours.
We laugh like hell but I can feel the left side of my ribs throbbing. I thought this would have gone by now. I pause the game.

"What the hell man! We were getting so far!"
"I'm going to the bathroom. Keep playing if you want but you will have a dead teammate"
"Oh right. Okay I'll wait"

I smile at him and quickly go into the bathroom. I pull up my hoodie and the bruise is changing colour. From the blue to a green dark brown. Great. I pull my hoodie down again and sit leaning against the wall. I know Jeremy will be wondering where I am but I need some time.
I hear a knock on the door. I flinch. Remembering the Halloween party. But a comforting voice comes from the other side

"Michael what's taking you so long. Are you on your period?"

I flinch again. I know he's joking. We make this joke all the time to each other, but again it brings me back to the Halloween party. In a panic I stand up and flush the toilet even though I've just sat on the floor for the last 10 minutes. Then I open the door hoping I look normal. I give him a forced weak smile and tell him