Chapter 13

Michaels POV:
This weekend has been the funnest weekend I've ever had.
Jeremy stayed over for it and we literally blasted musicals and played video games. Baked brownies and ended up having a sing off to the Dear Evan Hansen playlist.
I totally won.
It's now Sunday evening.
I check the time.
4:49pm
The weather has been terrible all weekend which was a bummer. I mean it's not like we had any plans to go out. But nice weather would be good.
I'm sitting on the sofa with my headphones on when Jeremy's comes running downstairs

"I just saw lightning!"

My stomach drops
By the look on his face he loves storms.
Not me. I have a genuine fear of them. Astraphobia is what it's called.

"Michael?"

I look up and take my headphones off

"That's cool"
"What's up?"

He comes and sits next to me. I bury my face in his hoodie to try and block it out. I feel him stroking my hair

"Michael what's the matter"

My voice comes out muffled

"I have Astraphobia"
"Astraphobia? Isn't that a fear of sto-. Oh shit"

I don't lift my head

"Wanna go down to the basement? There's no windows down there so you wouldn't see any of the storm"

I nod quickly and head down. Grabbing a brownie on the way.
I curl up on my beanbag and pull my hood up.
Jeremy sits with me and I lean into him.
I squeeze my eyes shut but that doesn't block the sound of thunder.
I audibly gasp when I hear it

"Micha you're okay. It's not gonna do anything to you"

I just keep my eyes tightly shut. I feel Jeremy putting my headphones over my ears and he presses play on my playlist. As long as I keep my eyes shut and my music on. I won't hear it or see it right?
Jeremy puts his arms tightly round me as I try to not let myself shake in fear.
I sit like this for about 20 minutes. Before I hear a yelp. I basically throw my headphones off but when I open my eyes all I see is my phone screen barely lighting up the basement.

"What the fuck?"

Jeremy is still with me

"Powers gone"

Now remember when I mentioned that I wasn't so much scared of the dark but I didn't like it?
Yeah scrap that I'm terrified of the dark.
I fumble with my phone to switch the torch on and Jeremy does the same.

"Is the power out in the whole house?"
"I presume so"
"Well shit"

We hold on to each other as we make our way back up from the basement. The house is dark.
I'm basically clinging onto Jeremy right now.
He's got hold of my hand tightly.
I can still hear thunder in the distance and the darkness really doesn't help.

"Right let's find some lights that have batteries in or something"

I remember something

"Upstairs. There's a flashlight in my drawer"

We head up. Still holding onto each other and manage to find the flashlight. We head back downstairs and sit on the sofa. The flashlight is doing a good job at lighting the room but I'm still terrified. The storm seems to be passing so I'm just praying the power comes back on soon.
Jeremy gets up

"Where are you going?"
"To the bathroom"
"Be quick please"
"I will. I promise. Don't worry. Keep the light on"
"Well no Jeremy I was gonna turn it off and sit in darkness"
"Dick"