Chapter 12.

"Why are you late Hunt?" I had just run into the gym, and I still needed to change. Everyone was looking at me because Hall yelled at me from across the gym.

"I had a doctor's appointment." I lied.

"Where's your note."

"I already turned it into the office. I can go get it for you if you'd like." I wasn't trying to be a smart mouth, I was just trying to get into the locker room so I could change and get away from all the eyes that were staring at me.

"Go change. When you come out you have 6 suicides. I threw in an extra one for the smart-ass comment." Fine by me. I ran into the locker room and changed as fast as I could. When I came out I ran my 6 suicides and then took my spot back to run our plays. Tessa had been subbing in for me. For the rest of practice, I was just going through the motions. Jackie kept looking at me. It was a weird look. It was like she wanted to run me down on the court or something. I wondered if she was embarrassed about what happened yesterday. Either way I ignored the looks and just kept running through the drills. I was actually having fun because when I would get the ball, I kept faking out the JV girl that was on me and would go straight for the basket. My ball handling has improved a lot over the past couple weeks.

As soon as practice was over and coach broke us out I looked down at my watch. Its already 6:45. Liv's gonna kill me. I ran to the locker room and took off my shorts, I have spandex underneath so I just stayed in those and changed into the long sleeve track shirt I'd been wearing today, and slipped on my jandles. I grabbed my bags and ran out of the locker room. Jackie was just walking in as I ran out. She didn't stop me, but something in the back of my mind told me she wanted to. I put the thought out of my head and ran out the doors to find Liv sitting on the steps of the school.

"I'm sorry I'm late. Practice ran longer than I thought it would." Liv looked up from her phone and said

"It's all good. Don't worry about it." I nodded my head and extended my hand to help her up. She took it and stood up. A couple of the JV girls started walking out of the school. I really want to get out of here before my team sees Liv. I don't need them thinking things. We managed to get in my car without anyone else seeing us. I put the car in drive and started to leave the parking lot. I had only been driving for about 20 seconds when my stomach started to growl. Liv gave me a look.

"Are you hungry?" I didn't eat lunch today. I don't normally eat breakfast so I was still full from the tacos when lunch came around.

"Yeah. A little."

"Let's get something to eat."

"Are you sure? You don't need to get home already?"

"My dad's still working, and I'm hungry too."

"Okay. What do you want?"

"Chick-Fil-A." The fact that she didn't say something annoying like 'I don't know' or 'whatever you want' made me happy. It made me want to laugh.

"Why are you smiling?"

"Because you're decisive. Most girls aren't."

"I just know what I want." Damn.

I went through the drive through and bought us food. She tried to give me money but I wouldn't take it. I have a thing about paying. I like to pay for people but I hate it when they pay for me. Either way I refused to take her money. Since neither one of us wanted to get down I drove us to the middle school track and parked so we could eat. Neither one of us had spoken in quite a while, mostly because we were eating.

"Thank you."

"What?"

"For earlier. In the bathroom."