Chapter 19.

The second we got to the school I wanted to get off the bus and just run to my car. After we left the Arlington Heights high school Eden covered up my neck again before anyone saw it and could start asking questions. When she left her seat, I put my headphones in and pretended to go to sleep in hopes that no one would talk to me. Even though I was 'asleep' I could feel Jackie watching me from a few seats behind me. I don't know what her problem is. I didn't do anything to her. That kiss earlier though, I didn't like it. I mean I liked it, but I don't like what it implied. When we drove up to the school I grabbed my bags and walked off the bus to my car before Jackie could stop me. I don't want to have that conversation, especially because of the fact that I'm about to go hang out with Liv and the rest of them. I don't know why even I agreed to go. Liv looked like she's rather get a root canal than have to be around me.

Once I was in my car I pulled my phone out and texted Peter that I was at the school. He texted back and said that they had just gotten into town too and that they were going to go eat at some little cafe. I told him to send me the address and that I would meet them there. The second I got the location I put my car in drive and started for the exit. As I passed Jackie's car I could see her and Ashlyn eyeing me as I drove by. I don't have time to worry about them right now. And for another thing, she's not Mariah, so she won't go around running her mouth about me.

Driving to the café my thoughts starts fixating. I was obsessing the events leading up to this moment. Why was Liv so mad? Was this about what happened last week? Why did Jackie kiss me like that? Jackie couldn't possibly like me, could she? She's the one that said she wouldn't date me. I felt my thoughts switch gears. What does the club think about me? Do they believe what people say about me? Maybe I should just quit writing club. No that's stupid. I love going to club, and I love hearing their stories. But if they really think I'm a slut then maybe I should just quit.

It went on like this until I drove up to the place Peter told me. It was some hole in the wall café called Archers that looked like it served mostly sandwiches and things like that. When I got down and got closer, the place gave of a very hipster sort of vibe. I put my hands in the pocket of my hoodie so that they wouldn't start to shake. I opened the door and in the back corner I saw everyone sitting in one of those corner booth things. When they saw me walk in Peter and Jane waved me down.

"Hey guys." I mumbled. Liv was at the edge of the booth playing on her phone. Jane and Carter started having their own conversation and as for Peter and David they got up and escorted me to the counter to order. It was fairly obvious that I'd never been here before.

"The club sandwich is pretty good." David contemplated.

"I prefer the chicken wrap." Peter chimed in. As they kept talking about food I was busy looking back at Liv to see if she was watching me. She wasn't. She wouldn't look up from her phone except to talk to Carter or Jane.

"So, you want that?" David asked. I hadn't been listening.

"Uh yeah. That sounds good." I agreed in a daze. David gave me a smile and then ordered my food to the cashier. When I pulled out my card to pay for it he shoved me aside and said

"I got it Track Star. You played a great game." The lady gave David the number for our order, it was number 3. I hate that number. I ignored my own irrational thoughts and thanked David for my food and then we all went back to the table. Peter and David scooched back into the booth where they had been before, which left me on the end of the table almost completely facing Liv. Lovely.

"No that was total bull. That girl practically tackled her." Right now, they're discussing the game I had just played.

"That guy was blind. He didn't even call the foul." During the game Eden was taking the ball up the court on a fast break. I was ahead of her so she went to throw it to me, but as she did one of the other teams' girl came out of nowhere and practically rammed her to the ground. The ref didn't see it because he was already looking at me. I was staying quiet while they discussed this.