Chapter Thirty-Seven

"I want people at all the exits! if you see a single person you don't recognize, you bring them to me!" he shouted into the phone, ending the call with a simple click. He probably didn't have to yell, but it was his way of relieving the stress he was feeling. He let out a seethed breath, running a hand through his sweaty hair. She had run, and for a moment, he had actually thought of shooting at her. He barely believed his own panic at her not being nearby, it wasn't simply that she had fled, but it was because she was Harmony. Now, she was loose somewhere in the building, no doubt causing chaos for him. No one was supposed to know she was even here! let alone having her running the halls screaming that she was being held against her will. I'm doomed

"Max?" he lifted his head, to the entrance of his office where Spike stood, shirtless with only a set of dark swim trunks, a towel thrown over his shoulder "Why aren't you dressed?" he growled, putting his head in his hands. If he was stressed, the horror that Spike would feel would be tenfold. He had been the one to take her from the street, if he knew that she was gone he'd be a wreck, and no doubt he would pull a gun on her again and actually press the trigger this time.

"I'm not going" he couldn't go to that stupid pool party! he had to be here in case there was news about Harmony.

"Come on Man! you love pool parties!" Spike insisted, walking over to give him a good hit to the upper back. Love would be a bit of an overstatement, what he loved was the excuse to drink all he could and not get in shit for it. She had called him an alcoholic, somehow he hadn't even realized just how much he drank until she had said it. But, his present stress certainly wasn't inhibiting the need to take a bottle and down the thing in one hit, no matter how strong the liquid may have been or how much it burned.

"I can't" he said, his voice hoarse. He had to be by his phone.

"Don't be stupid Man! you work too much!" Spike claimed, trying to force him from the chair by pulling his arm. Apparently, Spike was under the impression that his refusal had been about paperwork, Max was sure if Spike knew what it was really about, he wouldn't be so eager to go to that fucking party. Max just let out a heavy sigh, glancing at his friend.

"You're not going to leave me the fuck alone unless I go, are you?" Spike shook his head, cementing the fact with teeth. He looked at his phone, clutched in a tight fist. He had to pretend that nothing was happening so as to not instill suspicion. As long as he kept his phone with him, it would be alright, at least that's what he tried to convince himself.

~

She stood in front of the body mirror, staring at herself. She was so pale, like a ghost, especially in contrast with the black one-piece strapped over her frame. She had always hated how pale she was, it reminded her of the times in primary school when her classmates would call her a ghost, wiggling their fingers and howling like they thought ghosts did, harassing her in the playground. She would have chosen a different color, one that was more flattering to her skin tone, but it was obvious that this was all they had in this place.

"This is Ok, right?" Harmony asked, pulling at the strap of the elastic fabric. She hadn't remembered the last time she went anywhere in a swimsuit.

"If you want to be shot on sight...sure" Bunny responded at her side, a hideous look at the sight of the one piece, it looked like it was meant for children, not that Harmony didn't suit the stature. But, something more...sexy...was in order. Harmony watched as she walked over to the nearby display wall, grabbing a handful of bikinis in her size. Bunny shoved them into her arms, pushing her back towards the changing room. The one-piece was revealing enough! but these, are just a bunch of black strings! She forced on the first one, it was so tight she felt like she was being suffocated, it could be hardly called clothing with how little the small black triangles covered her breasts. She felt like she was naked!

Harmony didn't like to admit it, but she didn't like her body, just like most girls didn't. She was short, skinny and pale, she barely had any curves or breasts to speak of. She tried makeup in middle school, hoping to change her image with bronzer and blush, but her skin was so white that putting anything colored across it made her look like a clown. All she would have needed was the red squishy nose and the intense need to kill young kids, then certainly her clown ensemble would have been perfect. She came out from behind the curtain of the changing room, back in front of the mirror just as Bunny approached, smiling with excitement, looking from her head to her feet.

"Shit! Where have those been?!" she suddenly grabbed Harmony's chest, to her surprise, pushing up her almost non-existent breasts, making it look like she actually had cleavage. "The boys are going to be all over you!" Harmony recollected herself, smiling weakly at her new friend.

"I highly doubt that" Harmony responded, glancing down at her feet and grabbing a strand of her hair to twirl between her fingers. Maxwell was going to be there, he would see her looking like this, she didn't know whether the thought was more embarrassing or humiliating. But, Bunny seemed happy, so she took a deep breath, shaking out the jitters. It's only one night, after this night I can take this pathetic excuse for clothing and burn it

"Don't be ridiculous!" Bunny retorted, a smile on her features "Just watch, they'll fall at your feet!"