Chapter Sixteen

He had muted the speaker all day, he couldn't take any more of her, it was driving him crazy, and what made it even worse was knowing she had no idea what kind of effect she had on him. He certainly wasn't going to tell her. He looked at the monitor, she wasn't visible, so he thought it would be alright to unmute it, so he did.

"And it ain't no use in turning on your light, babe

That light I never knowed

And it ain't no use in turning on your light, babe

I'm on the dark side of the road"

Her voice fluttered into his ears, surprising him. She wasn't visible on the screen, but the microphone still picked up her voice, propelling it across his mind.

"But I wish there was somethin' you would do or say

To try and make me change my mind and stay

But we never did too much talking anyway

But don't think twice, it's all right"

"You like Bob Dylan?" his voice startled her so badly, she dropped her paintbrush. It clattered off her chair and fell to the floor, getting blue paint smears across the carpet.

"Dammit," she muttered, leaning over and grabbing a ripped piece of paper towel, trying to dab it away. It's going to stain.

She got up from the floor, wiping her paint-splattered hands on her shorts. She never cared much about clothes and keeping them perfect, she'd still wear them even if they were covered in paint. She looked up at the camera, suspecting she was in a blind spot since he hadn't accosted her for dropping paint on the white carpet. Perhaps she could just not tell him, she reasoned, it wasn't like he came into the room anyways, he'd never know. She walked a few steps, into the view of the camera where he could see her, in loose-fitting clothes, hands and arms covered in splotches of paint in numerous shades.

"Yes-" she responded simply "It's one of my favorite songs"

"I haven't heard Bob Dylan in a long time" he responded. She wondered if it was because she had the MP3, glancing down at it next to the chair facing the easel. She suspected that would be the moment to ask him if he wanted it back, but she didn't. Frankly, she didn't want to give it back, it was one of the few things that made this entire experience a little less terrible for her, and she didn't want to let go of that. So, she didn't ask him, because she didn't want his answer to be yes.

"Don't listen much to music?" she inquired, leaning over to sit on the edge of the bed.

"I wasn't allowed to" he responded. She didn't understand what he meant, not allowed to listen to music? Why? "My father advised against it, claimed that I should avoid things that could potentially muddle my rationality with pesky, unnecessary feelings. Instead, I should focus my attention and energy on the right things"

"You didn't listen to him?" she asked, her lips pulling just the slightest. The MP3 had over 5000 songs on it.

"Sometimes...I didn't" he retorted simply. The words just came out uncontrolled, it always seemed that was the case around this girl. He put his head in his hands, taking in a deep breath, letting it out harshly through his nostrils. This has to stop.

He got up from his chair, storming out the door from his office. He took heavy, quick steps down the hall, up the stairs to the second floor. He hardly knew what he was doing when he gripped the locks on her door, undoing each one. Harmony jumped from the bed when she heard the jiggling of the locks on the door, watching with fear rising through her bones every moment. Although she knew he was there, she still jumped a second time when the door opened, revealing himself to her. She stood there, her knees shaking slightly as his eyes took their time, from her own, down to her toes, and back up again to the messy bunch of hair tied on top of her head, small wavy pieces framing her cheeks.

He had been compelled to see her with his own eyes, but had no idea why. It was moments in silence where he stood in the entrance, and she stayed fixed to a single spot on the carpet, not daring to look away. He felt unsure of himself, of what had suddenly come over to have his feet take him across the condo with the single mission of seeing her face not through pixels, but with his dilated, dark pupils.

"I-" he thought he should try to explain himself, but nothing would really come out. It was like his throat was closing, he was choking at just the sheer sight of her. She watched as his hand fidgeted at his side, and his other twitched against the door handle he held. He suddenly sighed, rather loudly, running his hand through his hair, revealing his bright blue eyes for only a moment before the hair fell, concealing them again. "Keep it clean in here!" he let out with a sudden snap, surprising her. He shut the door, disappearing from sight and leaving her to her vices.

She just stood for a few moments, taking in the look that his eyes held for just that second she could sight them. So pretty and glossed. She leaned over, reached out with a shaky hand until she felt the edge of the bed, using that as her guide to slide herself onto the sheets without having to look away from where he had just left, leaving a smoggy aura behind. She let out a breath she didn't even realize she was holding, releasing it from her lungs screaming for another intake.

This is dangerous.

-

The song Harmony sings is Don't Think Twice, It's Alright by Bob Dylan

- Peaches