Chapter Forty-Four

She sat at the collapsible table seats, staring out the window at the passing world. The Lanky Guy was driving, as the young twins played some sort of card game on the top bunk of the beds near the back. Spike and Max stayed sitting on the couch, Maxwell typing vigorously across the keys of a laptop, and Spike bored on his phone, headphones in his ears, listening to some sort of music so loud she could hear how the singer screamed their heart out bloody murder, she assumed it was some sort of heavy metal, which certainly suited him.

"The trip will be 40 hours of driving, it will take us 4 days, ten hours per day" Max claimed to no one in particular, a cigarette hanging from his lips. Spike ripped out his headphones, looking at Max with unimpressed eyes.

"Please god, tell me you told them to clean out the false wall, there's only so many spider webs and clumps of dust I can handle" For such a tough guy, she found it amusing how he feared nothing but a few dust bunnies. Max didn't respond to Spike's nagging, instead continued on about the trip.

"When we cross the border, We'll be at the back of the RV, behind the false wall, and you'll be at the front Mony" Harmony's eyes widened, and so did Spikes, both looked at Max with different expressions, but equal as confused. The only one who seemed oblivious to the nickname he just used and how odd it was that he had just used a nickname at all for her, was the man himself, who pulled his cigarette from his lips, tapping it on the black ashtray to his side, not taking his eyes away from the screen of the laptop. 

He suddenly dug into his pocket, pulling out the small bundle of sheets, and holding it out towards her. He didn't look at her, merely held them out in the air for her to take, and she did, making sure to grab exactly opposite of where his hands were as to make sure that their fingers didn't touch in the exchange. She held them between her fingers, folded it open, and placed it on the fake-granite patterned table. It was a birth certificate, for a woman a couple of years younger than her, the name Maria Jones. It looked quite authentic, she was surprised, looking at both sides of the Georgia State driver's license with her face on it. How did they get this picture? She suddenly second-guessed, not wanting to know after all. All these fakes were such amazing copies, they looked no different than the real thing, at least not at first glance.

Max spoke "Maria Jones, you just graduated from Highschool in Atlanta, Georgia. You've moved around the United States throughout your childhood for your father's work as a school teacher. You've just been accepted into Princeton-" he turned to look at her wide-eyed face "Your going the fall" 

Spike continued "The two little ones are your younger twin sisters, Kayla and Kasey Jones. They're about to start the first grade, and your father is Ted Jones, a divorced middle school teacher with a dark sexual secret" She raised an eyebrow

"Is the last part really necessary?" she asked ironically

"Of course it is!" Spike shot up from the other end of the couch "It's always the basic ones, the ones that go to the PTA meetings and cut the orange slices for the soccer team at halftime, that have the darkest secrets they can't tell anyone else!"

"Anyways!-" Maxwell interrupted the standoff between them about to flair before it even started "You're on vacation to visit your wealthy grandparents that live as permanent residents in a resort just south of Durango, Mexico. They both worked for the United States Navy, so they have good pensions"

"Do you really think someone is going to ask about their pension?" she inquired, and all he did was let out a heavy sigh, staring across at the tiny oven against the opposite wall.

"The key is the details-" Spike responded "They'll question you, and if you slip up if you look suspicious in any way, they won't let that go" She found her stomach starting to tighten, disbelief in her eyes