Chapter Fifty-Eight

"Well, we might as well save them the trouble of kicking us out" he placed her on the ground, gently taking the other glass from her hand and placing it on a nearby counter. "Come on, my little fallen angel" she smiled, feeling as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, walking her out of the casino. They walked down the sidewalk under the streetlights. The place, it breathed with life, with the flashing lights and cars. Some people rode the streets on mopeds and motorcycles, flashing their lights. She didn't know where they were, and frankly, she didn't care. In ways it was like home, and in certain manners, it wasn't. The place's simplicity was enticing.

"What about this one?" he referred to a small bar with rugged, brick walls. It had flashing signs in the windows, a bright neon. She nodded her head with excitement, letting him guide her inside. The place was full of people, like they were all stuck in a can. The music was loud, but pleasant, with a live mariachi band on the stage. It had posters all over the walls in Spanish, trophies for sport. Some of the patrons danced with their partners, moving in ways Harmony could hardly understand. Their moves were like water, or wind, flowing between the tree tops and twisting in the sky. It was so perfect, and so authentic, the kind of dance you could laugh and cry to. This place...much better

The place was hot with bodies, but she hardly cared, as Max led her through the people up to the bar, placing her on one of the empty high barstools, and getting up on the one next to it.

"What'll it be Amigo?" the bartender called over the music and loud, happy voices

"Two fingers of good whiskey, neat, and a tequila sunrise with extra grenadine" Max responded, looking over at her.

"A master at work" she retorted

"My father used to drink whiskey all day-" Max spoke, leaning over the side of the counter towards her "The scent...It reminds me of him" She remembered what Bunny had told her, about Maxwell's father being an abusive prick. Why would he want to remember such a person? There were certain things about Max she still didn't really get, she compared it to her being physically enabled to remember him. But, coping was different for everyone, she guessed she couldn't shame him for it. He was an orphan, perhaps a scrap of past, even if it wasn't a good one, was still better than having nothing at all.

The bartender leaned over the bar counter, placing their drinks in front of them. She watched as he took a sip of the whiskey, licking his lower lip. She glanced down at the thing placed in front of her, in a kind of curved crystal piece. In the low light, she saw hints of a yellowish-orange, and to the bottom of the glass, a bright, fiery red. She hesitantly brought her lips over the straw with the orange slice, sucking up the liquid. She had expected it to be gross, alcohol was always gross, but surprisingly it tasted like sweet orange juice. She pulled away, intrigued as he watched.

"I assumed you wouldn't drink it if it tasted like alcohol" he claimed. She was impressed, licking the remains at the edge of her lip.

"It's good" she exclaimed, taking another sip of it. She could drink this all day!

They talked, about anything really, the conversation flowed easily between them as they nursed their drinks at the bar. After the tequila sunrise was gone, he had her try a blended Blue Hawaiian, which she liked even more. He watched as she drank eagerly, laughing when she hiccuped, getting some of the slush on the front of her dress to her mutters of annoyance, grabbing a napkin in a failed attempt to wipe it away.

"Spike and I grew up together, along with Ace, the three of us were tight, although Ace was a few years older" he spoke, clearing his throat from another sip of burning whiskey

"You all come from the original members of Hell's Heaven?" she asked

"Yup" he retorted "They call us originators, I'm pretty sure they just do it for show, to make us look special when were not"